MP3 Tags & IPI/CAE Number

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

MP3 Tags & IPI/CAE Number

Post by jdstamper » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:36 am

When tagging MP3 files, should tags include your actual IPI/CAE number from your Performing Rights Org?

I read a post somewhere that suggests including your actual number will make it that much easier for a customer to use the track without contacting you.

Thoughts?
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

LOCK88
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: MP3 Tags & IPI/CAE Number

Post by LOCK88 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:12 am

Hi Jim, I've researched this ad nauseam, and here's what has worked out well for me with regards to tagging my mp3's using iTunes. In addition to adding the Title, Artist, and Composer information in the information tab of each track, I put the following information in the comments section of each track (this example is with myself & 1 collaborator):

Robb@SoLKings.com (949)463-7609 BMI
ROBB SMITH BMI #663349134; 50.00%
CHRIS COSCINO BMI #839589766; 50%
Robb Smith / LOCK-88
Songwriter | Producer
Los Angeles, Ca
http://www.Lock88Music.com

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:20 am

Thanks Robb!

It seems like a good idea, I just wondered what others are doing. Most articles I've read about it don't suggest including your IPI/CAE number, so I kind of wanted to get some feedback.
Jim Stamper

kathia

Post by kathia » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:30 pm

LOCK88 wrote:Hi Jim, I've researched this ad nauseam, and here's what has worked out well for me with regards to tagging my mp3's using iTunes. In addition to adding the Title, Artist, and Composer information in the information tab of each track, I put the following information in the comments section of each track (this example is with myself & 1 collaborator):

Robb@SoLKings.com (949)463-7609 BMI
ROBB SMITH BMI #663349134; 50.00%
CHRIS COSCINO BMI #839589766; 50%
Hi Robb,
I just joined BMI a few days ago, and got an account number, 9 digits, like the one you have listed here. Just to be sure, it came saying "ACCOUNT NUMBER" - but it doesn't say "this is your IPI number". I've been finding all this numbering stuff VERY confusing. My question to you is simple and probably really dumb but, with BMI, is the account number also known as the IPI? or is that something else? Asking because I noticed recently on the board somebody who joined ASCAP said she hadn't received her IPI number after a week or so, and was asking if that was normal and someone said basically it's not automatic but it shouldn't take more than a week - so before joining the PRO, I was expecting to have to wait a bit for an IPI to come in but when I joined BMI, the "account number" which looked like it might be an IPI came right up immediately, so I have to wonder if the account number is or isn't the same thing as an IPI number with BMI. When you joined BMI did you also get an account # immediately, and is that same account number your IPI?
Thanks,
Kat

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:22 pm

kathia wrote: Hi Robb,
I just joined BMI a few days ago, and got an account number, 9 digits, like the one you have listed here. Just to be sure, it came saying "ACCOUNT NUMBER" - but it doesn't say "this is your IPI number". I've been finding all this numbering stuff VERY confusing. My question to you is simple and probably really dumb but, with BMI, is the account number also known as the IPI? or is that something else? Asking because I noticed recently on the board somebody who joined ASCAP said she hadn't received her IPI number after a week or so, and was asking if that was normal and someone said basically it's not automatic but it shouldn't take more than a week - so before joining the PRO, I was expecting to have to wait a bit for an IPI to come in but when I joined BMI, the "account number" which looked like it might be an IPI came right up immediately, so I have to wonder if the account number is or isn't the same thing as an IPI number with BMI. When you joined BMI did you also get an account # immediately, and is that same account number your IPI?
Thanks,
Kat
I am a BMI member. Your account number and IPI number are different numbers. It is indeed confusing - they are both 9 digits. I learned the hard way very recently haha. I just recently signed with a publisher that pointed this out to me as I provided the account number instead of IPI. I'm not sure how you find it without having pieces registered, so you may have to do some digging and maybe you don't have one yet. However if you have songs/tracks registered in your works catalog, you can pull up the info for them and it lists your IPI number there. HTH

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:37 pm

Right, the account number is a different animal! And I don't think it's a good idea to give out your account number. I believe BMI does list your account number and your IPI number separately in your account information, but yes it can be confusing at first.

Jim
Jim Stamper

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:45 pm

My OPINION Is it's totally unnecessary to put your IPI/CAE number in your mp3 tags. If you sign a song with a library/publisher, they will ask you for that information. Also, it is unlikely that they will even know that info is in your comments field as most never even look there.

When it comes to mp3s, the important thing is to have basic contact info there in case the mp3 file gets separated from an email or whatever source the mp3 came from. You wouldn't want a library owner to have an mp3 on their computer, want to sign the track, but forget what email or Taxi forward it came from. My method is to put my email address in the ALBUM field because "album" shows up on most players by default. I also put my phone number in the comments just in case.

Best
:D Casey

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:13 am

Casey H wrote:My method is to put my email address in the ALBUM field because "album" shows up on most players by default. I also put my phone number in the comments just in case.
Good call, Casey!
Anna Yarbrough
Website | Spotify | SoundCloud

LOCK88
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by LOCK88 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:07 am

Casey H wrote:My OPINION Is it's totally unnecessary to put your IPI/CAE number in your mp3 tags. If you sign a song with a library/publisher, they will ask you for that information. Also, it is unlikely that they will even know that info is in your comments field as most never even look there.

When it comes to mp3s, the important thing is to have basic contact info there in case the mp3 file gets separated from an email or whatever source the mp3 came from. You wouldn't want a library owner to have an mp3 on their computer, want to sign the track, but forget what email or Taxi forward it came from. My method is to put my email address in the ALBUM field because "album" shows up on most players by default. I also put my phone number in the comments just in case.

Best
Great call with the email in the ALBUM field Casey. With regards to the IPI/CAE #'s, there are a few publishers that I submit tracks directly (along with an electronic agreement). They've specifically asked for this information, in addition to my contact info. Including it has never been an issue with other publishers. The COMMENTS info does show up when you look at file information on an MP3, at least on Mac's (can't confirm on PC's). Perhaps it is not necessary in most cases, but the IPI/CAE # is ultimately how we get paid. And we all put in so much effort into creating these tracks, it's one piece of the info I don't want to have missing.
Robb Smith / LOCK-88
Songwriter | Producer
Los Angeles, Ca
http://www.Lock88Music.com

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:29 am

LOCK88 wrote: Great call with the email in the ALBUM field Casey. With regards to the IPI/CAE #'s, there are a few publishers that I submit tracks directly (along with an electronic agreement). They've specifically asked for this information, in addition to my contact info. Including it has never been an issue with other publishers. The COMMENTS info does show up when you look at file information on an MP3, at least on Mac's (can't confirm on PC's). Perhaps it is not necessary in most cases, but the IPI/CAE # is ultimately how we get paid. And we all put in so much effort into creating these tracks, it's one piece of the info I don't want to have missing.
It can't hurt to include it-- would never be an "issue" :D , I'm just saying it's rarely necessary. The exception, of course, would be if a publisher specifically requests that you put IPI/CAE in am mp3 tag. We always do what a publisher asks us to do. There is a difference between being asked for information and being asked for it specifically in an mp3 tag.

I work with one publisher who has you tag AIF files in iTunes with very specific guidelines including writer and PRO names. But even they don't ask for the CAE/IPI #s in the tags, that's handled in the contracts or other forms.

Happy tagging!