What To Bring To The Road Rally (2016 Edition!)

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

markhimley
Impressive
Impressive

Re: What To Bring To The Road Rally (2016 Edition!)

Postby markhimley » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:20 pm

Do you all burn your cd's at home, or where would you recommend having them made at? I would assume it's better to have a professional looking cd than just a generic burnable right?

Thanks!
Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Postby Casey H » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:24 pm

markhimley wrote:Do you all burn your cd's at home, or where would you recommend having them made at? I would assume it's better to have a professional looking cd than just a generic burnable right?

Thanks!

If you are marketing yourself as an artist looking for a label deal, professional packaging is best. However, I have found that if you are targeting Film/TV music libraries and supervisors, home burned CDs with packaging that is neat, clear, and readable is fine. Most Film/TV folks that I've dealt with are more concerned with the music. Make sure your CD labeling has the track list, genre(s), and your contact info. IMPORTANT: Your track list must be on the case or envelope, never just on the CD. Folks still listen in the car and want to glace down at the titles while listening. Your contact info must be on both the CD and the packaging-- these things can easily get separated.

For the rally, I personally feel that CD envelopes are better than jewel cases. Music execs are often traveling from out of town just like us and all those CDs in jewel cases clog up their suitcases. It wouldn't surprise me if many CDs get thrown out before they check out of the hotel. Envelopes have the advantage of being light and portable. I use stick on shipping labels for the track list, contact info, etc.

Just my humble opinion and experience.

Best,
:D Casey
markhimley
Impressive
Impressive

Postby markhimley » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:45 pm

Thanks for getting back to me so soon, Casey!
Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Postby Telefunkin » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:44 am

Yet another question about CDs if you can stand it (sorry to pester) :lol:

For folk who compose instrumental tracks spanning several genres, would you suggest carrying several different CD's that each focus on a distinct style, or is it better to have just one CD with examples from all the different genres? I don't fancy using up all my luggage allowance with CDs :)

Incidentally, if anyone's interested in good quality CD labelling, I just bought a Canon Pixma iP7250 (£44 from Argos in the UK) that prints text and/or photos directly onto white printable CDs (no stick-on labels needed). I'm very impressed with the results. I hope the inks last and don't dry up though, because they cost about the same as the printer! :lol: What I need to find now are some labels that fit inside the plastic CD sleeve (not Jewel case) so I can print the same on those too. Oh, and VistaPrint will print a batch of business cards for just under £10 (and I think you can even get discount on that price if you can find a code).
Graham (UK)

Seek the brightest sunlight,
then cast your own shadow.
Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Postby Casey H » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:52 am

Telefunkin wrote:Yet another question about CDs if you can stand it (sorry to pester) :lol:

For folk who compose instrumental tracks spanning several genres, would you suggest carrying several different CD's that each focus on a distinct style, or is it better to have just one CD with examples from all the different genres? I don't fancy using up all my luggage allowance with CDs :)

My OPINION is one CD with the different genres grouped together and clearly labeled.

GENRE 1
1. Track A
2. Track B
3. Track C

GENRE 2
4. Track A
5. Track B
6. Track C

etc.

HTH!
Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Postby Telefunkin » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:06 am

Thanks Casey, that's very helpful. I'm glad you're around to advise us all. THANK YOU! :)
Graham (UK)

Seek the brightest sunlight,
then cast your own shadow.
steveboy
Impressive
Impressive

Postby steveboy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:27 pm

Casey H wrote:
Telefunkin wrote:Yet another question about CDs if you can stand it (sorry to pester) :lol:

My OPINION is one CD with the different genres grouped together and clearly labeled.

GENRE 1
1. Track A
2. Track B
3. Track C

GENRE 2
4. Track A
5. Track B
6. Track C

etc.

HTH!

Thanks for all the excellent info Casey and Co. I'm due for some new business cards and thought I'd see if there's anything to add to the already stated:

Name
Email
Phone #
Music- In my case, Soundcloud

Thanks gang! Looking forward to meeting and hangin' with a bunch of you!