Do I have to start my own "publishing house" to collect publishing royalties?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Strangesound
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Do I have to start my own "publishing house" to collect publishing royalties?

Post by Strangesound » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:03 am

Hey guys,

some songs of mine were fowarded and for the first time a music library contacted me via eMail for the further use of a song.
They say I keep my publishing, which is great of course, but I'm not sure if I can collect these publishing royalties via my PRO, without opening up my own publishing house.

How do you guys handle this?

Thanks!
Adrian

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Do I have to start my own "publishing house" to collect publishing royalties?

Post by hummingbird » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:07 am

Check with your PRO. With mine (SOCAN), if no publisher is listed in the song registration, then publishing automatically goes to me. Other PROs might want you to register with them as a publisher in order to get the publishing (create a publishing company for yourself and register that as the publisher).
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Strangesound
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Do I have to start my own "publishing house" to collect publishing royalties?

Post by Strangesound » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:08 pm

Good to know, thank you!
Adrian

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:35 pm

Depends on your PRO, I think. If you're with ASCAP, it only costs like $50 to create a publishing entity.

~~Matt

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:04 pm

I have heard with BMI that you can just claim "excess writer's clearance" which is essentially just getting the publishing if no publisher was listed - like what Vikki said.

I am with BMI, however I didn't want to risk it, so I forked out the $150 to create my own publishing company as I am in a similar situation as what you've listed. HTH

Strangesound
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Strangesound » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:17 am

Thanks guys! I'm living in Germany, so I will call my german PRO and talk about it. The procedure should be similar :)
Adrian

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:05 pm

I have heard with BMI that you can just claim "excess writer's clearance" which is essentially just getting the publishing if no publisher was listed - like what Vikki said.
That's my understanding too. I'm with BMI and don't have a publishing entity, so I'm trusting it to be true. Can't wait to be lucky enough to find out :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.