New Library

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

New Library

Post by annayarbrough » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:27 pm

Hey guys,

I was contacted today by a library who wants to sign one of my tracks. They're also interested in hearing more in a similar vein—I don't have anything right now, but they said they've got a month or two on the project and they're open to hearing more as I complete them.

Everything I've ever done has been work-for-hire, so I haven't really dealt with libraries—how many tracks do you think I should plan on writing for their review?
(Important note—it's an exclusive library, and the type of music isn't necessarily my MAIN thing... although I do plan on writing more in the genre anyway).

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Anna Yarbrough
Website | Spotify | SoundCloud

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: New Library

Post by Tunesmith » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:58 pm

I would say 3? I usually send groups of 3. Not too much, not too little.

Linda

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Cruciform » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:05 pm

They've already given you the answer. :-) "As you complete them". You may end up sending in two more, for example, then they tell you that's enough, the quota has been reached. They could want 3, they could want 10 - maybe not all from you. But send one at a time as you finish.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:10 pm

Awesome Anna!

Important question. How did this library come to hear your track and express interest in signing it? The reason I ask is that often says a lot about whether the library is of good quality. For example, if you got the contact unsolicited based on a SoundCloud listen, that sometimes is a red flag. If from a Taxi forward or referral from a trusted source, that's much different. :D

Assuming the library is a good one with a good track record & reputation, probably 6-10 if you can, but if you can only create less in the timeframe (e.g. 3-5), its' still good. Also, any tracks the library doesn't accept are material for you to pitch elsewhere.

Best of luck!
:D Casey

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:14 pm

Tunesmith wrote:I would say 3? I usually send groups of 3. Not too much, not too little.

Linda
You know, that's where I was hovering.... haha
Anna Yarbrough

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:18 pm

Cruciform wrote:They've already given you the answer. :-) "As you complete them". You may end up sending in two more, for example, then they tell you that's enough, the quota has been reached. They could want 3, they could want 10 - maybe not all from you. But send one at a time as you finish.
Thanks for the feedback! I should say that that was me paraphrasing, not a direct quote.... haha. They said they were open to hearing any other material I might have in the same style—no specific number on it. I guess I'm just not sure what's standard, and—considering they're exclusive—how best to invest my time if I'm going to knuckle down and start churning stuff out!
Anna Yarbrough

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:21 pm

Casey H wrote:Awesome Anna!

Important question. How did this library come to hear your track and express interest in signing it? The reason I ask is that often says a lot about whether the library is of good quality. For example, if you got the contact unsolicited based on a SoundCloud listen, that sometimes is a red flag. If from a Taxi forward or referral from a trusted source, that's much different. :D

Assuming the library is a good one with a good track record & reputation, probably 6-10 if you can, but if you can only create less in the timeframe (e.g. 3-5), its' still good. Also, any tracks the library doesn't accept are material for you to pitch elsewhere.

Best of luck!
:D Casey
Thanks Casey! Happy to say it's a Taxi referral :D

Good to put some numbers on it, thanks. I was wrestling with how much time to invest as I wouldn't necessarily say it's my main thing—but, granted, from what I've seen it's a widely requested style so I guess it will always be useful later on!
Anna Yarbrough

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:42 pm

If it's time sensitive I'd be putting everything else on the backburner and banging out as many as I could realistically manage so long as it doesn't impact on any other clients.

This window of opportunity may not be open for very long by the sounds of it, but if you can send them a steady stream of quality cues you'll not only exponentially increase your chances of getting placements but you'll hopefully build up a rapport with the regular submission process too. Think of it as a short term investment on along term strategy... If you pull out all the stops for them you could make a friend for life.

Mark

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:53 pm

woohoo congrats, Anna!

Nothing new to add - I agree with most of what was already said. I would send 2-4 more in the next batch and see how they're feeling. After that you'll probably have a better feel for what they need/want from you. If all is well and they want more, crank em out! Strike while the iron is hot.

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:59 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:If it's time sensitive I'd be putting everything else on the backburner and banging out as many as I could realistically manage so long as it doesn't impact on any other clients.

This window of opportunity may not be open for very long by the sounds of it, but if you can send them a steady stream of quality cues you'll not only exponentially increase your chances of getting placements but you'll hopefully build up a rapport with the regular submission process too. Think of it as a short term investment on along term strategy... If you pull out all the stops for them you could make a friend for life.

Mark
Thanks for the advice! Yes. long-term strategy... good call 8-)
Anna Yarbrough