New Library

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: New Library

Post by annayarbrough » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:00 pm

markhimley wrote:woohoo congrats, Anna!

Nothing new to add - I agree with most of what was already said. I would send 2-4 more in the next batch and see how they're feeling. After that you'll probably have a better feel for what they need/want from you. If all is well and they want more, crank em out! Strike while the iron is hot.
Thanks, Mark! Some post-Rally magic in the air!
Anna Yarbrough
Website | Spotify | SoundCloud

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:42 pm

WTG, Anna.
To your question, awhile back Henry Winckel wrote a thread about his method of having (at least?) 10 tracks to offer as follow up to a nibble from a source.
That's not in my wheelhouse, but he writes piano pieces. Wish I could magically find and repost the link to that for you; maybe someone else will.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

ComposerLDG
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ComposerLDG » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:44 pm

Since everyone else has already chimed in with excellent advice, I won't add to it, but I will say congratulations on the deal and offer!
Loren DiGiorgi
Uniquely piano-inspired Orchestral | Tension | Hybrid | Trailer
lorendigiorgi.com
www.taxi.com/lorendigiorgi
www.soundcloud.com/ldigiorgi
YouTube
Instagram

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:53 pm

annayarbrough wrote:......considering they're exclusive......!
This is common fear - that exclusive signing of your tracks will lead to.....them being locked up forever and if they don't get used then you feel down.

That has some weight behind it as most writers have signed music to libraries (exclusive or non) that doesn't seem to get used. There is a perception that "keeping your options open" is better management of your intellectual property.

Consider this opinion:

1) It sometimes takes several years after signing to get any action on your track for the first time. Sometimes it happens the same week. We really have no impact on that (except writing truly excellent music) except to make sure your pieces are signed in a timely manner to some place that CAN get a placement.

2) You could also see yourself as a endless well of creativity, and that what you write this month doesn't deplete you but rather strengthens you for future projects.

If that is all true, that you can only write the best music you can, and keep on doing it for a long time - then you keep on making the best decisions you can of who to work with, and keep on SIGNING YOUR BEST MUSIC

If it were me, I would be interested in writing as many as I could in the next month and get them signed - assuming the style of this track is contemporary and you could possibly sign it somewhere else if this library doesn't want it.

There are a lot of things about exclusive libraries that make them attractive parts of your "diversified music portfolio" - like they often work with foreign sub-publishers which increases the chance of getting your track used.

Danny
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Danny » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:50 am

Anna,

That's great news! Whatever you decide to give them, I wish you success moving forward.

LOCK88
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by LOCK88 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:50 am

Nothing to add Anna, but congrats! I'm sure there are many more right behind this one in your future.
Robb Smith / LOCK-88
Songwriter | Producer
Los Angeles, Ca
http://www.Lock88Music.com

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:27 am

funsongs wrote:WTG, Anna.
To your question, awhile back Henry Winckel wrote a thread about his method of having (at least?) 10 tracks to offer as follow up to a nibble from a source.
That's not in my wheelhouse, but he writes piano pieces. Wish I could magically find and repost the link to that for you; maybe someone else will.
Will have to dig that up—thanks Peter! Strangely enough, this wasn't even piano work. Funny how things pan out!
Anna Yarbrough

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:27 am

ComposerLDG wrote:Since everyone else has already chimed in with excellent advice, I won't add to it, but I will say congratulations on the deal and offer!
Thanks, Loren! Nothing signed just yet but I am awaiting paperwork :mrgreen: let's hope it all goes smoothly.
Anna Yarbrough

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:31 am

andygabrys wrote:
annayarbrough wrote:......considering they're exclusive......!
This is common fear - that exclusive signing of your tracks will lead to.....them being locked up forever and if they don't get used then you feel down.

That has some weight behind it as most writers have signed music to libraries (exclusive or non) that doesn't seem to get used. There is a perception that "keeping your options open" is better management of your intellectual property.

Consider this opinion:

1) It sometimes takes several years after signing to get any action on your track for the first time. Sometimes it happens the same week. We really have no impact on that (except writing truly excellent music) except to make sure your pieces are signed in a timely manner to some place that CAN get a placement.

2) You could also see yourself as a endless well of creativity, and that what you write this month doesn't deplete you but rather strengthens you for future projects.

If that is all true, that you can only write the best music you can, and keep on doing it for a long time - then you keep on making the best decisions you can of who to work with, and keep on SIGNING YOUR BEST MUSIC

If it were me, I would be interested in writing as many as I could in the next month and get them signed - assuming the style of this track is contemporary and you could possibly sign it somewhere else if this library doesn't want it.

There are a lot of things about exclusive libraries that make them attractive parts of your "diversified music portfolio" - like they often work with foreign sub-publishers which increases the chance of getting your track used.
Thanks for all of the info, Andy! Yeah I guess I'm not really worried that they're exclusive, just more so that in conjunction with the fact that this particular style isn't one I'm consistently writing. (Although maybe I should be, seeing as there seems to be a demand!) Good note on the depletion though—that hit the nail on the head!
Anna Yarbrough

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:31 am

Danny wrote:Anna,

That's great news! Whatever you decide to give them, I wish you success moving forward.
Thank you, Danny!
Anna Yarbrough