Re Cold Calling

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Re Cold Calling

Post by Casey H » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:26 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Casey H wrote:Chuck makes excellent points. Nothing beats being introduced to a library by a "favorable introduction" such as from a Taxi forward or referral by a trusted friend.
Yep..it's selling 101

Best Cold Call is not actually cold call at all..it's a referral..classed as a "warm" call ..or a " forward " in Taxi world

2nd Best Cold Call is face to face ( think Road Rally or networking event )

3rd Best is by Phone ( if you can get past the gatekeeper )

4th best is unsolicited email
Actually, in today's world, email would be preferable to phone (e.g. put it 3rd on the list over phone). MOST library owners would prefer an email with a brief intro, credits and a link to your website as a start and would find an unsolicited phone call annoying. They can answer emails at their leisure.
Last edited by Casey H on Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:06 pm

Casey H wrote: Actually, I would in today's world, email would be preferable to phone (e.g. put it 3rd on the list over phone). MOST library owners would prefer an email with a brief intro, credits and a link to your website as a start and would find an unsolicited phone call annoying. They can answer emails at their leisure.
No , its well proven in sales that email is pretty ineffective as a cold calling tool, they are impersonal and way too easily ignored or deleted.

Far better to make the call first. People buy from people, if you show interest in them and ask how you can help service their needs then most are happy to tell you. Then you can follow up with that email. It will be far more powerful because they are expecting it.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:13 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Casey H wrote: Actually, I would in today's world, email would be preferable to phone (e.g. put it 3rd on the list over phone). MOST library owners would prefer an email with a brief intro, credits and a link to your website as a start and would find an unsolicited phone call annoying. They can answer emails at their leisure.
No , its well proven in sales that email is pretty ineffective as a cold calling tool, they are impersonal and way too easily ignored or deleted.

Far better to make the call first. People buy from people, if you show interest in them and ask how you can help service their needs then most are happy to tell you. Then you can follow up with that email. It will be far more powerful because they are expecting it.
We'll agree to disagree here, but that's OK. :D When it comes to music libraries I've dealt with for many years now, 95% would prefer an email contact. In fact, I would strongly discourage cold calling libraries on the phone. It's just not how they prefer to do business based on MY years of experience... Again, we agree to disagree.

PS This is not typical sales. A brief bio/credits and link to website is the best intro in our world and a phone call doesn't provide that. Also, voicemail messages rarely get returned while emails have a much more likely chance of response... Talking music library world here.

Danny
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Danny » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:52 am

I believe we went pretty off point from the original question.

Yes. I know cold calling works. 95 percent of my Lib relationships were built on cold calling and inquiries via email.

The post was not about if I should cold call but thanks for everyone's input :D .

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:13 pm

Original question - doubtful lists of names are involved - general to and fro do you know this guy or I saw this name on some forwards I got previously - maybe - still unlikely

IMO - The business of Libraries is to composers somewhat like the business of composers is to cues.

Lots of them and variable returns.

stevebarden
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by stevebarden » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:18 pm

Casey H wrote:
cosmicdolphin wrote:

We'll agree to disagree here, but that's OK. :D When it comes to music libraries I've dealt with for many years now, 95% would prefer an email contact. In fact, I would strongly discourage cold calling libraries on the phone. It's just not how they prefer to do business based on MY years of experience... Again, we agree to disagree.

PS This is not typical sales. A brief bio/credits and link to website is the best intro in our world and a phone call doesn't provide that. Also, voicemail messages rarely get returned while emails have a much more likely chance of response... Talking music library world here.
I also want to agree with Casey on the phone vs. email introduction. With the folks I interviewed for my book everyone agreed that email is the preferred method. Phone calls may be the norm in other businesses, but music libraries generally prefer an email.

ComposerLDG
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ComposerLDG » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:13 am

I think I'd agree with Steve. How many library sites list a phone number for composer inquiries? It's always an email address. That said, keep your email professional and concise. I'm figuring these guys have time for one paragraph and that's probably it.
Loren DiGiorgi
Uniquely piano-inspired Orchestral | Tension | Hybrid | Trailer
lorendigiorgi.com
www.taxi.com/lorendigiorgi
www.soundcloud.com/ldigiorgi
YouTube
Instagram

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:45 pm

stevebarden wrote:I also want to agree with Casey on the phone vs. email introduction. With the folks I interviewed for my book everyone agreed that email is the preferred method. Phone calls may be the norm in other businesses, but music libraries generally prefer an email.
Steve , appreciate where you are coming from - and you're not wrong in your research ....but you could write a book or a forum post on the subject for virtually any industry out there and get the same response.

Email us ! It's basically the new " Don't call us ..we'll call you "

They would all say " but the ( insert industry here ) sector is different " ...and...." you don't understand .. we aren't selling widgets "

The honest truth is sales is sales and whatever you make or whichever service you provide and wherever your customers are the same universal principles apply:-

1. That selling is fulfilling a need

2. You can't know what that need is unless you ask ( or you read the Taxi Listings )

3. Building rapport is as important as the product..People do business with people they like ( Exhibit A..all the deals done at the Road Rally )

4. If you can build rapport and fulfill their need you have a much better chance of successs

So I still maintain it's proven that in any line of business that has something to sell ( which is all of 'em )...when it comes to prospecting... Face to Face > Referral > Cold Phone Call > Cold Email > Doing Nothing

Taxi is a referral service, that's why it works. The RR is a face to face networking event which is why so many deals get done or relationships started. Emails can work too they are just the least effective method..but better than doing nothing.

Mark