Favorite Classes 2017

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

robroper
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Favorite Classes 2017

Post by robroper » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:57 pm

Back home from my first Road Rally. I'm glad I went, it was everything it was cracked up to be, and more. I was very impressed by how well-organized it was. When Michael said it was all done by 2 people, I couldn't believe it. Surely that's not possible. I hope they're enjoying their 18-hour sleep now.

My favorite sessions or classes were:
1. Derek Nakamoto, "Know Who You Are." While obviously we're all in Taxi to try and make some money for music, Derek asked us to remember why we do music in the first place, and to be true to ourselves.
2. Chuck Schlacter, "Building a Catalog" (instrumental cues). Straight-forward, no-nonsense, here's what you need to do, told with liberal doses of humor.
3. Dean Krippaehne, "Reverse Engineering Instrumental Cues." Similar to Chuck's, with some great tips.
I was geared towards classes on cues and engineering at this road rally, so obviously my favorites were in that direction.

I was surprised at how easy it was to meet people. I'm pretty introverted, so it's tough for me to go up to a stranger and start a conversation, but it was so easy there-- in lines, classes, at the bar. I met a ton of people, had some great conversations, made a bunch of new friends. And I was surprised at how eager the experienced members were to give you tips. Everybody seems to want to help you be successful. Great vibe.

OK, enough yapping, time to get to work.

Rob Roper

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Favorite Classes 2017

Post by annayarbrough » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:59 pm

Awesome, Rob. Glad you enjoyed it—maybe I'll bump into you next year! Looking forward to hearing your music.
Anna Yarbrough
Website | Spotify | SoundCloud

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:00 pm

Nice meeting you at the bar, Rob!

:D Casey

TheRealPatrickAdams
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by TheRealPatrickAdams » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:40 am

Hey Rob,
It was an awesome time for sure! I took some of the mixing classes with Rob Chiarelli and Ron Harris. Was a little worried about it getting too technical, but they broke it down to basics. Those were my favorites but I think getting to meet everyone and talk was probably the best for me.

And I met you as well.

Yours in music,

Patrick Adams
Patrick Adams
Singer/ songwriter in the country tradition. Storyteller and musician working to connect the human race through love and song.
Email: padams_77@yahoo.com
Email: twangquest@gmail.com
Twitter: @PatrickAdams307
www.taxi.com/members/PatrickAdams307
Instagram:@patrickadams307

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:46 pm

Nice post Rob. Fantastic rally (my first too), and my only problem was trying to decide which classes to sacrifice when I wanted to attend everything! If you twisted my arm to choose a favourite it would probably be "How Video Editors Choose and Use Music" where Laurel Ostranderthe voiced her thought process as she selected tracks and laid them in to the video. It was truly enlightening.

The whole weekend was an unforgettable experience that was entertaining and educational beyond all my expectations. I'd read all the testimonials and they sounded just too good to be true, but now I'd write all those things myself - and more besides. I'd like to add my thanks to Michael and everyone else involved for a wonderful few days.

However, meeting the members everyone was absolutely amazing, and if that had been the only thing I did, it would have been worth the 10,000 mile round trip. What a community!!! Thanks to all you guys - you are incredible!!!! :)
Last edited by Telefunkin on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:57 pm

For me, it was... and maybe will always be... Robin's presentation; and I've seen her many times.
So far - her insight & advice never disappoints, is never dull, never short of wonderful;
I look forward to every time she's ready to teach... even if it sounds like a RePete :? 8-) :)
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

thegajman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by thegajman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:34 pm

Hey Rob!

My favourite class was definitely Ronan Chris Murphy's class on "Compression". I think I finally understand it now after having it explained so perfectly.

Was great to meet lots of Taxi members (Rob, Peter, Graham from this thread alone!). Now I need to go back through all my notes, business cards and CDs and cement the learning and the connections.

The Rally was definitely everything I hoped it would be!

fuzzbox
Impressive
Impressive

Post by fuzzbox » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:00 am

Hey Rob,
it was good to meet you too.
It was also my first Rally and I echo Telefunkin's response (cheers Graham). ;) 8-) if we can only loose those damn fingerprint machines LOL :lol:

What an incredible time with incredible people. I hope to do it again next year!

Thanks guys! :D
ImageImage

All You Need Is Ears - Sir George Martin
The music is not in the notes, but in the silence betweenWolfgang Amadeus Mozart