Wonderful and Special

From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Wonderful and Special

Post by remmet » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:50 am

It's funny how the full impact of the Rally, at least for me, tends to become increasingly apparent primarily after the event! There were many highlights, but here are just a few:

Rob C's and Ron H's presentations. Who knew that setting a compressor's release time less than 100 ms would distort the bass register in your mixes!

Steve Dorff. What an amazing and humble man.

Watching Matt H's genuinely gracious interaction with a new Taxi member, offering encouragement and welcoming him into the fold.

My one-on-one mentor session. It felt like a real and potentially significant connection.

Jason Blume and Ronan Chris Murphy's classes. Dazzling and informative!

Doing my part to support the sponsors (oh boy, did I ever!).

Meeting so many new people, several of whom I'm sure I'll be re-connecting with in the coming year.

Renewing and strengthening old friendships. This is such an amazing community!

Watching my son perform at open mic and getting such a warm reception, not only right after the event but also over the next few days as people would come by and tell him how much they enjoyed his performance. He doesn't always show it outwardly, but it meant a lot to him -- and to me as well.

There is more, but what I REALLY want to do is to say THANK YOU, Michael. I don't know how you do what you do, but I am completely in awe of what you and your amazing team accomplish with such care, skill, and generosity. Thank you so much!

Richard
Last edited by remmet on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Wonderful and Special

Post by admin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:59 am

Thanks Richard,

Great to see you, if only for a minute. And nice to meet your son as well!

I think MY only regret about the Rally is that there are SO many people I know, and consider friends, yet I barely scratch the surface as to how many I get to spend any time with. One of these years, I should un-book myself for half a day, and see the Rally like everybody else.

BTW, people sometimes ask me why I don't hang in the bar/lobby area more often to socialize.

1) I'm usually up in my room refining panel questions and looking for problems in our schedule for the next day.

2) My throat gets raw pretty easily, so talking over the din of the room tends to ruin it for the next day.

3) I'm just wiped out from three months of Rally prep and need silence.

But I love you guys and gals and wish I could socialize more! Even Sunday night after the Rally was over, I still worked until about 10:30 pm. Finding odds and ends in the darkened ballroom. Rounding up rental gear so it doesn't get lost, shaking some hands, recovering important docs to help plan next year's Rally (they were left under my ballroom seat), etc.

Gotta say, I DID love this Rally! :D

best,
Michael

fuzzbox
Impressive
Impressive

Post by fuzzbox » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:16 am

I would like to add my thanks as well Michael.
This was my first Road Rally. We did meet briefly after sign-up and I wanted to shake your hand thank you for all the TAXI TV episodes! I mentioned to you that I flew in from the UK.

What a fantastic and highly organised event. There were so many fantastic classes, workshops, demos, panels. I needed to be in two places at one time... more than once! :lol:

Like remmet, I went to see Rob C's master class (what a great low-end tip :ugeek: ), Ronan's compression class, 1-on-1 with Ronan too. Dean's workshop's. Just fantastic!
My productions is lacking and my 1-on-1 with Ronan helped me sort out some of my issues... I mean, there are few places you can get that sort of info as part of you day... if you see what I mean.

What generous people. I feel I have learned so much. 8-)

Meeting fellow members in person that I see on the forums was a blast and I met some new inspiring people that are so talented... a humbling experience.

Great Job Michael 8-) :D

If all goes well I shall attend the next Road Rally!

Kevin
ImageImage

All You Need Is Ears - Sir George Martin
The music is not in the notes, but in the silence betweenWolfgang Amadeus Mozart

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by remmet » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:24 pm

Always nice to hear from you, Michael, whether in person, by phone, or in the Forum. It's totally understandable that you need some time and space during Rally off hours, but be assured - your presence permeates the building and is appreciated immensely. Glad to know that you felt especially good about this one.

Margaret said to me earlier today, "In what other large organization does the head guy keep in such regular personal contact with its members?" Good question. I couldn't really think of one. In fact, I can't really think of another organization where I'd particularly want that to happen. But I'm glad it happens here.

All the best to you - and your team AND the stellar presenters who made the event so special.

Richard

admin wrote:Thanks Richard,

Great to see you, if only for a minute. And nice to meet your son as well!

I think MY only regret about the Rally is that there are SO many people I know, and consider friends, yet I barely scratch the surface as to how many I get to spend any time with. One of these years, I should un-book myself for half a day, and see the Rally like everybody else.

BTW, people sometimes ask me why I don't hang in the bar/lobby area more often to socialize.

1) I'm usually up in my room refining panel questions and looking for problems in our schedule for the next day.

2) My throat gets raw pretty easily, so talking over the din of the room tends to ruin it for the next day.

3) I'm just wiped out from three months of Rally prep and need silence.

But I love you guys and gals and wish I could socialize more! Even Sunday night after the Rally was over, I still worked until about 10:30 pm. Finding odds and ends in the darkened ballroom. Rounding up rental gear so it doesn't get lost, shaking some hands, recovering important docs to help plan next year's Rally (they were left under my ballroom seat), etc.

Gotta say, I DID love this Rally! :D

best,
Michael