Good laptop for home recording?

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

billhewett
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Good laptop for home recording?

Post by billhewett » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:20 pm

As a PC/Linux user who *hates* using Macs, I will add another +1 for the Mac in terms of simlicity/lack of headaches. I work in IT as my day job, so I have connections and know how to build a powerful PC for a much lower price point, and I know how to get under the hood to optimize the workflow and prevent common issues... but for everyday users it can be a real battle to wrangle a PC :)

And I would also say that the learning curve should be minimal if your primary use for the laptop is music... you need to know how to open your DAW, how to open iTunes (for organizing and tagging music), how to open "Finder" instead of "Windows Explorer". Once you get used to the menus being attached to the top of the monitor instead of the application Window you're good to go! (there are a few other gotchas you'll run into, but as Lester said, Google will get you through)

-Bill

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:47 pm

I also recently transitioned to a refurb Mac Pro, and I ain't looking back. Lack of USB 3.0/T-Bolt hasn't been an issue thus far, and there's been way less downtime from OS issues than with the prior PC rig.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

5barIMP
Active
Active

Post by 5barIMP » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:15 am

Thanks for the advice Robb, Bill and Mojobone - and sorry for taking so long with my reply. A combination of work, studying for a degree and looking after 5 kids have kept me away from here for longer than I realised!! I was wondering if anyone could give also me some advice about orchestral software please? I've been thinking about getting the East West Hollywood Orchestra - and have noticed that they've got a 50% sale on until September 7th. But I've also heard good things about Symphobia - does anyone know if either of these is significantly better than the other one?

Thanks,
Dave.

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:47 pm

I've been a pc guy all my life but decided to buy a Mac book in 2017 just to be able to use Logic. I'd never recorded on a computer until buying that Mac and starting fresh in Logic 10. There was a bit of a learning curve but not anywhere near what I was thinking it would be. I think Andy's post nailed it. Good luck Tom! Best, John
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

MJFrog
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MJFrog » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:18 pm

I have to agree with everyone else that a used Macbook Pro with an i7 is the way to go ...
2012 model would be my choice in your price range ...
You should be able to find a good one on Ebay from a reputable source (read the feedback and reviews) ...
I would get an external drive or two also ...

The learning curve is not as hard as you would expect and when you learn a few 'Key' commands ... you may wonder why you did not change sooner ...
Also there is "Core Audio" which allows you to use aggregate ASIO configurations which DJ's and Podcasters love ...

Good Luck in your search!