New Library

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: New Library

Post by annayarbrough » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:32 am

LOCK88 wrote:Nothing to add Anna, but congrats! I'm sure there are many more right behind this one in your future.
Thanks, Robb! Hope so!
Anna Yarbrough
Website | Spotify | SoundCloud

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:36 pm

Congratulations Anna! One more piece of advice: Members sometimes fall in "love" with the first library that offers them a deal. "They love my work!"

Be careful not to put all your eggs in one basket. Libraries have different contacts, outlets, sales strategies, and often, certain types of music they excel at placing or NOT. Some libraries get lots of material/instrumentals in Reality TV, some focus their energies on song placements in Episodic Dramas, some are strong at TV Commercials, some at Films, and so forth.

Some incredibly reputable libraries can be less-than-wonderful in certain areas, so pace yourself, research them like crazy (and I DON'T mean their "ratings" on certain websites). Those ratings are often decided by "they signed me," not by their efficacy in placing certain genres.

Look at their previous placements. Nobody (no company) is great at all types of placements, although their websites might lead you to think they are. My advice: A half dozen eggs (each) in a dozen different baskets (libraries) should give you a "balanced portfolio." Over time, you'll see who excels at what.

Over the years ahead, try to get dozens of pieces (each) in dozens of libraries - some exclusive, some non-exclusvie. Treat your music like a well-diversified stock portfolio and it will treat you like you've invested wisely!

I've been saying that since the mid-nineties, and people are just recently starting to grasp that concept. Grasp it early, and you'll thank me later. :lol:

Congrats again!
Michael

ComposerLDG
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ComposerLDG » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:09 pm

See now, this forum is worth its weight in gold! In this thread we got to:

1) Congratulate Anna on her new (well-deserved) library contact.
2) Get valuable input from the more experienced members here.
3) Get a lesson and sage advice from the Taxi CEO himself.

Gotta love this place. :)
Loren DiGiorgi
Uniquely piano-inspired Orchestral | Tension | Hybrid | Trailer
lorendigiorgi.com
www.taxi.com/lorendigiorgi
www.soundcloud.com/ldigiorgi
YouTube
Instagram

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:51 pm

admin wrote:Congratulations Anna! One more piece of advice: Members sometimes fall in "love" with the first library that offers them a deal. "They love my work!"

Be careful not to put all your eggs in one basket. Libraries have different contacts, outlets, sales strategies, and often, certain types of music they excel at placing or NOT. Some libraries get lots of material/instrumentals in Reality TV, some focus their energies on song placements in Episodic Dramas, some are strong at TV Commercials, some at Films, and so forth.

Some incredibly reputable libraries can be less-than-wonderful in certain areas, so pace yourself, research them like crazy (and I DON'T mean their "ratings" on certain websites). Those ratings are often decided by "they signed me," not by their efficacy in placing certain genres.

Look at their previous placements. Nobody (no company) is great at all types of placements, although their websites might lead you to think they are. My advice: A half dozen eggs (each) in a dozen different baskets (libraries) should give you a "balanced portfolio." Over time, you'll see who excels at what.

Over the years ahead, try to get dozens of pieces (each) in dozens of libraries - some exclusive, some non-exclusvie. Treat your music like a well-diversified stock portfolio and it will treat you like you've invested wisely!

I've been saying that since the mid-nineties, and people are just recently starting to grasp that concept. Grasp it early, and you'll thank me later. :lol:

Congrats again!
Michael
Thanks for taking the time, Michael! That's all very valuable advice—I appreciate it!

PS—shouldn't you be taking a well-deserved vacation on a desert island sometime about now??? :D
Anna Yarbrough

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:51 pm

ComposerLDG wrote:Gotta love this place. :)
+ 1 to that :mrgreen:
Anna Yarbrough

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:45 pm

Haha.....what did I say?? Congratulations Anna. You and your music really do deserve this. :D
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:47 pm

Telefunkin wrote:Haha.....what did I say?? Congratulations Anna. You and your music really do deserve this. :D
Ahh thanks Graham! Spent a good chunk of time today learning to do edits! Quite the learning experience... haha
Anna Yarbrough

TerrellBurt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TerrellBurt » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:38 pm

Nothing more that I can really add here Anna, as you have already received some great advice, but congrats!! We as creatives never know what's going to stick and resonate with others.