Earnings as a lyicist of tv shows vs earnings of artist songs?

Want your lyics reviewed? Post 'em up!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jeh

Earnings as a lyicist of tv shows vs earnings of artist songs?

Post by jeh » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:39 pm

Is there any difference in case the popularity of both is kinda the same???

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Earnings as a lyicist of tv shows vs earnings of artist songs?

Post by hummingbird » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:13 am

There is a difference and a lot of it would depend on the deal for the song and the deal between the collaborating songwriters. If you get a song placed in tv, there could be synch fees (rare) and backend royalties. How much depends on the show, network, amount of time played, etc. The production of the song needs to be broadcast quality and you & your collaborator need to own the master. The library gets publishing, you get the writing. Unless it's direct to sup, then you get the publishing. Lots of variables. I have placements that pay $.08 a broadcast and some that pay $45. Once the cue sheets are filed, expect it to take 6 to 9 months for your royalties to get to you. Film is different. US theatres don't pay royalties for in theatre broadcast of a film's music. You might get up front sync fees. Back end might come from rentals and eventual tv play.

If a song is placed on an album, then you get your share of the mechanicals (last time I looked that was 9 cents per copy for a physical cd, divide that between yourself and your collaborator.. plus performance royalties for when the song is played live or on radio or in a club. Bear in mind though, that the chanced of unknown songwriters getting a song cut by a major artist is a pretty high mountain to climb. How much money depends on the length of the cut, the number of CDs pressed or downloads reported, the number of times it's played on commercial radio, etc.

You might think of getting Jason's book about the music biz
https://www.amazon.ca/This-Business-Son ... 0823077594

HTH
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

jeh

Post by jeh » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:28 pm

I appreciate your time and effort! Thank you

AmandaJane
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AmandaJane » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:39 pm

I'm a lyricist working mainly on film n tv songs. I see my income growing month on month and know that in five to ten years I'll be one very happy bunny on the proceeds :shock:
Sláinte, Amanda

Amanda Jane West - Lyricist | SoundCloud | My Website |