Registering songs with a PRO

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DashAdams

Registering songs with a PRO

Post by DashAdams » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:01 am

Hey everyone, hope you're all having an amazing creative day. I was curious, do any you register your songs with your PRO right after you've finished writing them? Or do you wait untill the production is compete and it's recorded ready to go?

-daah-
-dash adams-
Songwriter
dashadamsMUSIC@gmail.com
@dashadamsMUSIC [IG/Twitter]

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Registering songs with a PRO

Post by funsongs » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:06 am

DashAdams wrote:Hey everyone, hope you're all having an amazing creative day. I was curious, do any you register your songs with your PRO right after you've finished writing them? Or do you wait untill the production is compete and it's recorded ready to go?

-daah-
When I asked BMI that question, the answer was something like: "when it's been released".
Hope that helps.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

LOCK88
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by LOCK88 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:25 am

Hi Dash. I register my songs with BMI as soon as the production is getting close, and I know exactly what the length of the track is going to be. Sometimes, the length of the track varies from the time you write it, to the time you finish the production (maybe add or subtract a bridge, or add a 2nd chorus at the end, etc...). And one of the critical questions the pro's ask is the Length of the song. HTH
robb
Robb Smith / LOCK-88
Songwriter | Producer
Los Angeles, Ca
http://www.Lock88Music.com

DashAdams

Post by DashAdams » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:29 am

Thanks Peter. I've been on the fence about this for a little while. Most of us write on daily basis, but do we really need to get online and register EVERY song afterwards? You always hear stories about songs being released and writers not being aware untill after the fact. I guess I'm just trying to be safe and get ahead of it.
-dash adams-
Songwriter
dashadamsMUSIC@gmail.com

DashAdams

Post by DashAdams » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:52 am

LOCK88 wrote:Hi Dash. I register my songs with BMI as soon as the production is getting close, and I know exactly what the length of the track is going to be. Sometimes, the length of the track varies from the time you write it, to the time you finish the production (maybe add or subtract a bridge, or add a 2nd chorus at the end, etc...). And one of the critical questions the pro's ask is the Length of the song. HTH
robb
Much appreciated insight man. I'm loving TAXI more and more everyday. Really great people on here.
-dash adams-
Songwriter
dashadamsMUSIC@gmail.com

davekropf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by davekropf » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:01 pm

I never register my songs since more often than not, the publisher will. In fact, most publishers I've dealt with prefer that I don't register the song beforehand.

YMMV

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:51 pm

I do not register my tracks with my PRO unless asked to do so by the end user, as in most cases the music library or publisher will register it with the correct shares for writer and publisher. Now I write music for media so it might be a bit different but still, the only reason to register a song/track/cue with a PRO is if you or someone else is cutting the song for an album (potential radio play), performing It live, or otherwise using it in some royalty generating fashion.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

erynmichel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by erynmichel » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:28 pm

I just wanted to say how much I appreciate everyone's answers. As a usual forum lurker, these posts are really helping me discover different angles to questions I've had for weeks now, spurred on by my first two forwards this week. I was wondering the same thing. Thanks OP for asking it!

AmandaJane
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AmandaJane » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:55 pm

I'm in Ireland and I register all my completed tracks with the PRO. The only exception is if I know they are going to an exclusive publisher / library.
I do this as soon as they go online etc.
Sláinte, Amanda

Amanda Jane West - Lyricist | SoundCloud | My Website |