with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

RIP Cakewalk / Sonar

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:34 am

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Cakewalk-Anno ... 87511.aspx

Any users on here ? I started out with the midi only version after I moved from my Amiga based Music X sequencer to a PC ...I kinda got stuck at version 8.5.3 which was their best IMHO before they messed up the interface with the X series which to my eyes took up loads more screen real estate and was really flat, uninspiring and hard to look at. Not the colourful , compact UI I had grown up with.

I think they lost a lot of goodwill at that stage and many users jumped ship as it was almost like a new DAW anyway and better options had sprung up.

I plan to continue as long as I can with the version I have, from all reports it works on Win 10 and I have trialled various other DAWs and not really envious of any of the features.

glogleemusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: RIP Cakewalk / Sonar

Post by glogleemusic » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:59 am

Holy crapola! I have long considered making the switch to another DAW. I didn't want to spend too much time away from actual writing and production. Oh well ... at least they all offer the same thing pretty much these days ... whats the best platform to begin looking at?
Dan Gillogly
You Will Look Good B'cuz We Sound Good!
https://soundcloud.com/gloglee
http://dancgillogly.com/

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:17 am

glogleemusic wrote:Holy crapola! I have long considered making the switch to another DAW. I didn't want to spend too much time away from actual writing and production. Oh well ... at least they all offer the same thing pretty much these days ... whats the best platform to begin looking at?
Many are saying Studio One 3 including Craig Anderton. I have had 8.5 running for 8 years..I think I can get it to run next time I change PC as well so maybe I can wring another 5+ yrs from it..there's no killer feature I've seen in any new DAW so if it ain't broke..only updates by the likes of Microsoft are likely to kill it.

WeWillWriteUaSong
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by WeWillWriteUaSong » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 am

2 words folks....Studio One... well...i think it's actually one word....but whatever. Just ask Jimmy C, Owen Chaim, Frank Rogala, Dr. Chrispy (just to name a few) if you should switch to S1 ;)

I'll give you a hint...it's Yes you should..

Btw - I also came from almost 15 years on Cakewalk. S1 is amazing. The workflow. The speed. The ease. Perfect DAW to me. And keeps getting better with every update. :)
Marcus aka CaiNo

"Those with evil intentions or contentious thoughts are instantly vanquished. The Art of Peace is invincible because it contends with nothing."

http://www.taxi.com/wewillwriteuasong
http://www.soundcloud.com/wewillwriteuasong

ochaim
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ochaim » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:03 am

I switched last week from Cubase when I discovered you can render multiple regions for alt-mixes in just one pass if you set up the markers. If you spend a solid day or two with S1 and use the keyboard shortcut presets for your former DAW (I'm pretty sure they have it for cakewalk), that's probably enough to really find your way around S1.

The black friday deal was pretty good too. If thats over, they offer a crossgrade discount from other major daws. I remember seeing it on the site. Its almost 50% off if I recall correctly.

I recorded my first vocal track with it yesterday and I'm pretty much back into my daw groove. It really helps to watch some "tips" videos but the best way to learn is start writing and find what you need from the daw as you go.

Good luck!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 am

ochaim wrote:I switched last week from Cubase when I discovered you can render multiple regions for alt-mixes in just one pass if you set up the markers.
Hey Owen

Could you just expand on that a little? Anything that makes alt mixes or cut downs easier is worth a look.

ochaim
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ochaim » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:55 am

Sure!

Using the marker track. If you set markers at the start and end of each mix, such that the end marker of one mix is the start marker of the next, there is an option in the render window, something like "render between markers". it creates a separate file for each set of markers, effectively creating, for example, main mix, no lead, drums and bass, etc. It will also name the files according to the start marker for each mix so the filenames can be whatever you want. **All in one render pass**. As opposed to rendering each alt mix manually, where you have to wait for each render before you do the next alt-mix.

Does that make sense?

I dont know about Logic or others but Nuendo and Reaper are the only other daws that have this feature, that I know of. Reaper is the most powerful of all because you can batch render mixes even from different projects. But I never felt it was stable enough for me along with its quirky quirks.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:12 am

ochaim wrote:Sure!

Does that make sense?
Haha..not sure ..thanks for trying though..maybe I make mine in a different fashion ? So I would usually...

Render the whole thing - My song Full mix

Then mute the Drum buss and render - My song ( no drums )

Unmute the Drum buss and mute the Bass and render - My song ( no bass )

..and so on ..I must admit I never use markers

ochaim
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ochaim » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:31 am

so to relate it to your workflow. instead of muting tracks to create alts, copy the main mix to later in the timeline. delete the tracks you would mute etc. repeat this copying and deleting tracks til you have all of the alts in one long timeline. then use markers to mark the start/end of each alt. then this render option creates a track for each alt mix on one pass.

i used to do the alts by muting as you do but it would get complicated if i wanted to create a slightly different arrangement for an alt, like if the no lead created a section that left a royalty free loop bare somewhere where it cant be used in such a context. i can add to that alt without affecting the others.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:39 am

ochaim wrote:so to relate it to your workflow. instead of muting tracks to create alts, copy the main mix to later in the timeline. delete the tracks you would mute etc. repeat this copying and deleting tracks til you have all of the alts in one long timeline. then use markers to mark the start/end of each alt. then this render option creates a track for each alt mix on one pass.

i used to do the alts by muting as you do but it would get complicated if i wanted to create a slightly different arrangement for an alt, like if the no lead created a section that left a royalty free loop bare somewhere where it cant be used in such a context. i can add to that alt without affecting the others.
I get you now...actually I do make my cut down mixes in that way..60 / 30 / 15 and a stinger