Publishing/Music library deal guidance

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BMarshall

Publishing/Music library deal guidance

Post by BMarshall » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:54 am

Hi all,
So I am currently in the midst of a discussion with a music library/ publishing company and was seeking some insight on the contract side of things as this is
my first time.

The deal would involve me retaining 100% of the writers share and I would maintain 100% ownership of the master. They would own 100% of the publishing and the become the copyright holder. They also charge a 10% admin. fee/deal.

I would also receive 100% of the writers share of public performance income directly from my PRO which happens to be BMI

I guess my concern is the part where they become the owner of the copyright.

So my question is...Is this a fairly standard agreement? Any insight would be appreciated.

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Publishing/Music library deal guidance

Post by VanderBoegh » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:50 pm

It's pretty standard for exclusive companies to take the copyright, and I'm assuming this company is exclusive. The rest of the deal points are all standard too. The 10% administrative fee is something that not all exclusive companies charge, but it's not uncommon either. I write music for a very great boutique library that keeps 10% of synchs as an admin fee, and splits the remaining 90% down the middle. Some people would balk at that, but not me. It's a very small price to pay to have top-notch representation and have a great company pitching your music to high-level shows.

My advice for these things is always to just sign it and see what happens.

~~Matt