Request from Michael

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

admin
Site Admin

Request from Michael

Post by admin » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:56 pm

I often post links to the TAXI Success Stories topic when people (online) question TAXI's validity, or when I'm pitching a music supe or library about using TAXI as a resource for new music. It's a little troubling to me when the front page of this forum gets loaded with posts about success that isn't because of a TAXI forward, a collaboration made through TAXI, or a connection made at the TAXI Road Rally. It's even more troubling when I see posts that say things like, "While none of these placements were directly because of Taxi, many of the cues used were written for listings here. Taxi has been of great help in honing my composing skills."

I'm sure the INTENT was to give props to TAXI, but try and see it through the eyes of somebody who knows about TAXI, but has doubts. I'd like to get this specific forum back on track with posts that relate to deals and placements that happened because of TAXI's listings, collabs, or connections.

Maybe we should start a new forum topic called, "How TAXI has Helped Me." That seems like a more appropriate place to posts that are more generally about success that is indirectly related to TAXI.

And thanks to the member who brought this to my attention. She felt that some of the posts are more about "people saying 'look at what I've accomplished,' and loosely tying it to Taxi so they can post it there. What are the guidelines, if there are any?"

I've often felt this way as well, but didn't have confirmation that others perceived it that way too.

I'd really appreciate it if we could get this topic back on track.

thanks,
Michael

songmaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Request from Michael

Post by songmaster » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:23 am

Thanks for the heads up Micheal! I think a lot of us are at fault here. What we should realize is that, once you pay your money for that Taxi ride, just be happy that sometimes it takes a little detour and surprises you with success :D

Tom

TerrellBurt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TerrellBurt » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:43 pm

Great point, Michael. I felt that my posts were getting redundant, so I wasn't mentioning it as frequently, but all of my success is because of TAXI. My collaborators, library contacts, and placements would not exist without the resources of TAXI! I'll be sure to mention this from here on out. Thanks for the clarification.

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:48 pm

Great point, Michael. I can appreciate this!!

~~Matt

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:56 pm

A question I have is what are the clients of Taxi saying about the service?

Are they getting the best music possible from listing with Taxi? Do they find the Taxi members they work with to be professional? Do they believe that the Taxi members send the best music needed for listings? Do the clients feel that they can do better without listing requests with Taxi?

I know that all of this info cannot be dsiclosed due to confidentiality and business reasons. But I see the members here working hard to create music in order to further their careers. Many members are not at the top making enough to solely do music, so the intangible benefits such as getting music placed forwarded are a reward.

People need some sort of postive motivation or incentive to persevere and continue. It is not necessarily based on money. If it were, most would quit after a year and just find something, anything else, to do besides wait for a forward, with may turn into a placement, which may turn into a royalty check.

I definitely understand where Taxi is coming from. A sub-forum may be a great idea just for people to lift one another up and give motivation, feedback, encouragement, and love to one another. Life is tough enough outside of music licensing.

A little place to show gratitude and to give a small pat on the back would be a great service to the mental health of many of us crazy people out here trying to make living from music!

timothycook
Impressive
Impressive

Post by timothycook » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:36 am

As a newbie just getting into this business I can tell you how TAXI helped me before I even joined.

In 2017 I was in the contemplative stage not being sure if I could or even if I wanted to do this. However, the hours and hours of FREE EDUCATION offered through TAXI TV videos has provided an assurance that I can if I choose to follow the advice and put in the time honing my skills. As someone that put on a YouTube show (in another field) for a year I know how much time and effort outside the actual show time, it takes to to do that. Thank you Michael for making those publicly available.

I only have a few submissions so far and really expect that they will be rejected for some reason or another. But, that is my next step in the education process.

Thanks,
Tim
“You’re braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” — Christopher Robin

See: https://soundcloud.com/timothywcook