What do they mean by.. Subscription Based online music library

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tomyco
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

What do they mean by.. Subscription Based online music library

Post by tomyco » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:52 pm

I have a Music library interested in one of my songs. They sent me an agreement and in it, it say that I can not submit for review or enter in a catalog to any Subscription based Online music library.

When I questioned them on it they said, only subscription based services and have no issues with any other Music library business model.

So what exactly is a Subscription based Online Music library. How do they differ from other music libraries. Thanks

ochaim
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: What do they mean by.. Subscription Based online music library

Post by ochaim » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:01 pm

I think I came across one of these sub based libraries a few months ago. You pay a subscription and it acts like a blanket license for their catalogue where you dont gave to pay any more than the subscription to use the music.

I dont remember the name of the company.

There could be variations like the subscription gives you credits to use that month or it could be a buffet. But I believe thats the gist of it.

So if you have a song in a traditional library, you significantly lower the value of that song by putting it into a sub based library where the end user would be paying a much lower fee for the license. So, it makes sense the library wouldnt want you to put the tracks you sign to them in a subscription based library.

Hope that helps.