Action Metal Instrumental Cue - RETURN learnings.

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

thegajman
Impressive
Impressive

Action Metal Instrumental Cue - RETURN learnings.

Post by thegajman » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:34 pm

I just had a return for one of those submissions where I was SURE I was going to get a forward. Not because it's awesome music or even great playing, but because I studied the listing, I listened to the reference tracks multiple times, I finessed the arrangement, the parts, the mix.. and probably way too much for an instrumental cue - but I was just so determined to improve my forward/return ratio for 2018 (2017 wasn't great!).

So I was pretty disappointed to get the return and after digesting the critique for a while I kind of understand why I didn't get a forward but it's still frustrating.

The reason I'm posting this here is two-fold,

1) its therapeutic!
2) hopefully someone else can learn the lesson that I keep needing to be re-taught "READ THE LISTING VERY CAREFULLY, EVERY LITTLE DETAIL, IF THEY SAY SOMETHING - THEY MEAN IT, AND IF YOU DON'T GO OUT OF YOUR WAY TO ADDRESS WHAT THEY HAVE SAID, THERE IS A RETURN COMING YOUR WAY!!!"

Here is the listing :

Y180130AM
ACTION METAL INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a Brand New, Non-Exclusive Music Library being started by the CEO of another successful company. This company has asked TAXI to find them hundreds (probably thousands) of Instrumentals, Cues, and Songs over the next few months. It’s very unlikely that you’ve got music in this new catalog, so this is a killer opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a new catalog that will probably get a ton of placements! “Going To Hell” by The Pretty Reckless: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmtbg5b7_Aw “Psychosocial” by Slipknot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5abamRO41fE “Walk” by Pantera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkFqg5wAuFk Although the references above have vocals, this pitch is for instrumentals only! Please send them hard-driving, Up-Tempo Action Metal Instrumental Cues that are at least Two-Minutes long with a short (or no) intro, propulsive drums, hooky, repetitive, guitar riffs, and a bass part with the kind of attack that hits you in the chest. Stick with one central musical idea from beginning to end, while creating a sense of forward momentum by adding and subtracting instruments as your Cue progresses. Add dynamics by building it up, tearing it back down, building it back up again, and the going for the big finish! Non-Faded, Button/Stinger endings are strongly recommended. Send them great sounding, well-crafted Cues that are exciting enough that they would work well for Sports TV, Extreme Sports videos and high-energy Chase Scenes in big feature films. Please do NOT copy the referenced artists or their music in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine). This Company offers a NON-Exclusive 50/50 deal. You’ll get 50% of any applicable sync fees and 100% of the Writer’s share. The Publisher will get 50% of any sync fees and 100% of the Publisher’s share. You must own or control your Master and Composition to submit to this pitch. You’ll maintain full ownership of the original Copyright and Master Recording. Please send as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis – Short critiques only. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PST), on Tuesday, January 30th, 2018. TAXI #Y180130AM

Here is my track: https://soundcloud.com/glenn777johnson/instra-metal

And here is the critique: Reasons not forwarded : Music, Stylistically Off Target

"I really like what I heard but I am not hearing the repetitive riffs or you sticking with one musical idea the way this listing needed. The track is a bit too complex and for a song the prog metal changes are great but for a cue that kinda aren't that great. Keep up the very good writing Glenn."

The screener is completely correct! My cue isn't repetitive (I think all cues are a bit repetitive even if they follow an ABA format, I kind of went too far I think because mine is more like an ABC). Did I stick to one central musical idea? I thought I did, but I also wanted to make the cue interesting and give a potential music supervisor or editor some different textures to work with (over thinking probably!).

I guess my frustration is that I have had cues returned because they are too samey, or there isn't enough forward momentum. I have obviously overcompensated in this track by not making it samey enough.

Anyway, I'll keep trying. There are plenty more listings to write for, I just need to pay more attention to the brief! :lol:

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Action Metal Instrumental Cue - RETURN learnings.

Post by jdstamper » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:16 pm

Hey Glenn,

That's happened to me before, where I thought I was sticking to a theme but then wandered too far away from it. Sometimes I can't really hear it until I take a break for a few weeks and come back to it later for revisions. And it's doubly frustrating when you think you've got a sure thing.

Maybe your cue will work OK for another listing, or maybe a simple revision will do the trick. Better luck next time.

Thanks for posting

Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

LOCK88
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by LOCK88 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:29 pm

wow Glenn, I can see why you were expecting a forward. Great playing there man. Bummer for the return, but great track nonetheless.
Robb Smith / LOCK-88
Songwriter | Producer
Los Angeles, Ca
http://www.Lock88Music.com

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:36 pm

thegajman wrote: The reason I'm posting this here is...
1) it's therapeutic!
Chin up, Mate. Not many places you can have fun making great tunes; then get professional-grade therapy for 5 bucks!! :? :)
(and you're still among very sympathetic and encouraging friends who've 'been there - done that'). :? 8-)
Whereas, I'm more like the carpenter who says, "But Boss! I've cut that board 3 times - and it's STILL too short!"
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

thegajman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by thegajman » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:47 pm

Thanks guys! I feel better already :lol: At least the Forum therapy is FREE! ;)

.. and Jim, I totally agree with waiting a couple of weeks and hearing it with fresh ears. What a difference that can make.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:34 pm

Yeah you almost wrote 3 cues there ..all with a slightly different feel

You obviously have the chops , I think the initial part is the path to follow for this listing. One thing I've been doing more of which may help is just shifting things up an octave for variation.

So imagine at 17s you bring in an octave double ..then at 33s you keep the riff but maybe drop out the drums to just a kick and play it on bass...then build it back up. You could still stick an 8 bar section of something a bit different but keep the feel.

Mark

thegajman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by thegajman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:34 am

Hey thanks for that Mark, great advice! Really appreciated.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:02 am

Nice playing Glenn! You did a great job in producing a very entertaining track, and I feel your pain having something so good returned. I've struggled a lot balancing repetition with development and forward momentum (as have many others I believe) so you're certainly not alone on that point. I'm far from an expert but I try to think that its repetition that gives a track its identity and cohesion (central motif), and its the variations around that repetition every few bars that keep it from getting dull (drop the bass, play only root notes on bass, drop the drums, half-time the beat, add an octave or harmony guitar, add a Hammond, stop dead for half a bar and add an EDM riser, modulate the same motif then return, build it back to an all-in finale, etc). Mark's suggestion is a good one, and maybe you genuinely could edit what you've done and make 2 or 3 separate but similar tracks from it. Its worth considering, and it would be a shame not to get something workable from such a great starting point. I hope you can make it work. :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

thegajman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by thegajman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:42 pm

Thanks Graham! Yeah, I will definitely consider turning it into separate cues. Once again, great advice!