Not living in the States and making this work.

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

GuitarKit
Impressive
Impressive

Not living in the States and making this work.

Post by GuitarKit » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:23 am

Hi have been reading some of the success stories in the success forum. I have noticed that many musicians are crediting their success by the fact they can build relationships during the road rally and meeting fellow Taxiers as well as industry pros.

I live down under in New Zealand. I can't see my self making it to a road rally although I would love to. I do communicate on the forums a bit and am starting to build relationships.

What are your thoughts about getting a deal while living outside of the U.S? I would hate for this to be an unreachable goal.

Kit

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: Not living in the States and making this work.

Post by andygabrys » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:11 pm

IMO:

1) getting a deal living outside the US - totally achievable.
2) getting ahead by making personal contacts at any industry event in NZ or AUS - better
3) making it to LA and attending industry events like the TAXI road rally - better yet.

Its all about making great music, in styles that are asked for in the listings, and making solid pitches. I think it helps to try and write more than one or two tracks for each listing. You get more depth in the genre especially if its new for you.

One of my first TAXI deals in 2013 was with a publisher from AUS. You never know where or with whom you are going to be working.

FMstereo
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by FMstereo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:55 pm

Hi Kit – I’m in NZ too! In this day and age with all the wonderful technology we have it really doesn’t matter where you live.

I go to the Rally every year and it is wonderful to meet people face to face. However, as I’m sure you’re finding, these forums are also a great resource for building relationships with other members. I “met” my main co-writer on the forums, and we didn’t get to meet in person until two years later. Now we have most of our catalogue signed to music libraries/publishers, either through Taxi forwards or direct library/publisher relationships via other Taxi co-writers. (I haven't had a lot of placements yet, but I totally get that this can be a long, slow game!)

I think the Taxi community is so awesome, but going to the Rally is the icing on the cake!

Cheers

GuitarKit
Impressive
Impressive

Post by GuitarKit » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:10 pm

Yes I am really enjoying the Taxi family. Everyone is very much out to help one another out. Be nice to collab with someone some time.
That seems to be a way of broadening the potential placements.

timothycook
Impressive
Impressive

Post by timothycook » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:50 am

I am an American living in Brazil and only get back to the US once every 2 or 3 years. Even then that is to the East Coast. Getting to LA is a trek. But I do plan to make it this year or next. From what I have read and seen on Taxi TV it is pretty important to go at least once.
I know there is a person in Ireland that attends the live Taxi TV sessions even though they (she?) has to be up in the middle of the night. I have attended a couple and my belief is that doing that and being seen will help integrate you into the community. At least to some extent.
“You’re braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” — Christopher Robin

See: https://soundcloud.com/timothywcook

KaiE

Post by KaiE » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:04 am

Hey,

in my opinion it is 100% possible thanks to the internet!
I'm from Germany, have never been in another country to do business.
But the most of my followers, musician friends etc. are from the states and i have sold most of my music licenses in the states.
For years i uploaded all my music on youtube, soundcloud and other streaming platforms, that helped a lot and sooner or later
even television producers or gaming companies contacted me. It's really not easy and patience became my very best friend :lol:
Kai-

ColdFingaz - Rap Beats & Instrumentals
https://www.simptunes.com

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:26 pm

Don't move to the States for music. Stay abroad and keep your edge!

There is so much generic nonsense and noise being pumped out that I don't see how most people raised in America have any creative ability anymore, myself included. I digress....

GuitarKit
Impressive
Impressive

Post by GuitarKit » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:52 am

Thanks for your comments everyone. Yes relationships can be forged abroad. Yes, it is a marathon, not a sprint. I'm at the start of the marathon, this being the start of my second-year with taxi.
It's good there is a music community to throw out water bottles along the way.
Thanks.

ecurb
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ecurb » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:39 am

Thanks all and thanks for opening this one Kit, very relevant to me also as at least geographically I'm in a pretty similar situation and have had the same sort of questions in mind :-)

Between family, sheer distance and other assorted factors, there was simply no way I could make it to the Road Rally just gone. And this year, 2018, is a pretty slim chance too sorry to say.

But... maybe next year...

Bruce