Is it ethical for a library to ask for writer's share?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Is it ethical for a library to ask for writer's share?

Post by hummingbird » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:17 am

+1 Cam

Along with the 'me too' and 'time's up' campaign we composers and songwriters have to push back and say no, you can't take half my work for your own.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:55 am

hummingbird wrote:+1 Cam

Along with the 'me too' and 'time's up' campaign we composers and songwriters have to push back and say no, you can't take half my work for your own.
Exactly!

We are already losing the sync/mechanical fees with most music libraries. Now we are being asked to give up a portion of the writer’s share to “be fair”? That is not a fair deal for the composer or the music library.

Push back against these deals. Don’t be desperate for placements. Let the music library give up a portion of the publishing while you keep 100% of your writer’s share. Don’t let the bad business practices of some companies become bad business practices for you!

The only one who is getting ahead in those deals are the production companies who get to use music for free and make money on the backend.

Please think of your career before you make deals like this. Honestly, you kill any chances of a career because you are giving away your earnings. You get nothing in return. If you don’t earn, you don’t eat.
Last edited by DesireInspires on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danny
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Danny » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:22 pm

What's even more "Unethical" is that when these guys started to run listings, they didn't disclose this practice on the listing, they claimed it was the usual 50/50 composer/Pub split.

When they conracted me for a deal, THEN they told me I would have to give up my writers share. This the second contract I ever had to turn down.

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:15 am

Danny wrote:What's even more "Unethical" is that when these guys started to run listings, they didn't disclose this practice on the listing, they claimed it was the usual 50/50 composer/Pub split.

When they conracted me for a deal, THEN they told me I would have to give up my writers share. This the second contract I ever had to turn down.
You did the right thing.