Back In The 2nd Bedroom!

Tell us about your studio and post some photos no matter how modest or robust it is!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Back In The 2nd Bedroom!

Post by ernstinen » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:59 am

Image[/img]

After renting a studio space for over a year (actually, about 20 years total LOL!) I decided to downsize and move back into our second bedroom, in a much smaller area.

Gone is the huge desk that held everything except my priceless Soundcraft 1-S board and my Roland JV-90 controller with an orchestral card. New is a rack on wheels (essential!) to hold my outboard gear and Vision DAW which is built for East West Gold orchestral samples... I run Digital Performer in my iMac, which is the "brains" of the whole setup. Not shown is an Alesis Masterlink (which I mix to), my tube guitar preamp (Soldano) and a 15" Eminence speaker in an isolation box powered by a Peavey 60/60 tube power amp, miked by a Shure 57. Other microphones include a fantastic old Sennheiser K2-U small diaphragm condenser, and a Gauge 87 large diaphragm condenser.

I use two sets of passive speakers driven by a QVC power amplifier: Yamaha NS-10Ms, and a pair of Definitive Technology speakers to check out the low end... I still occasionally use my vintage Prophet 600 analog synthesizer, and a refurbished TASCAM 22-2 reel-to-reel. Main headphones are Shure 840s, and pair of old Sennheisers... The speaker switch box is a Monster. Compressor/limiters include an ART tube model, and a dbx 160x. I normally use the microphone preamps in the Soundcraft (awesome!) and then go into a Presonus Audiobox. The Vision DAW goes into a Focusrite preamp. And I still use a very old Aphex Aural Exciter on vocals, after the compressor.

Of course, I can't forget my "baby," a 1963 Stratocaster. And my $90 Chinese P-Bass knockoff!... Guitar pedals are too many to get into LOL!

That's it for now,

Ern 8-)