How Much $$ Does The Top Writer Make?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: How Much $$ Does The Top Writer Make?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:14 am

PhilRey wrote:
cosmicdolphin wrote:I'm 2yrs and 3 months in. Total Earnings $37 from a Taxi return sold elsewhere.
May I ask how many tracks did you submit since you enrolled ? Just to have a sort of ratio... ?
And also, why do you continue to submit tracks if it's not for the money ?
(sorry for this maybe basic questions, I'm not used to all these Taxi things..)
About 120 submissions...Four Library Contacts..2 signed up with..around 80 tracks in those Libraries now.

Why continue submitting..? My job has always almost always been in sales..So I understand about pipelines. The pipeline in this industry is pretty long so stuff I had accepted into a Library a year or two ago are only just filtering through to my end. i.e. my PRO. There' s a few things I know of that I haven't been paid for yet partly because I'm from the UK and they are in the US an I am told it takes around three quarterly statements for it to reach here.

So it's a l-o-n-g game, and even longer if your tracks aren't up to par to begin with ( my recent stuff is much better than my first efforts ). But from everything I've read the earnings kind of go a bit exponential if you can keep supplying good libraries with high quality music. Zero in year one becomes $37 in year two, then hundreds in year three and into the thousands in years four and five etc.

PhilRey
Impressive
Impressive

Post by PhilRey » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:23 am

I see. Thanks for the explanation ;) So in the end Taxi is more like an entry point. The rest depends more on your hability to follow up with the libraries they can put you in contact with, and provide regular good stuff... (And of course this can take years to finally come back to you)...

PhilRey
Impressive
Impressive

Post by PhilRey » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:27 am

VanderBoegh wrote: I talked to the right people at the Road Rally, and a few months after the Road Rally in 2013, I found myself in a car in Hollywood with a very prolific Taxi composer and walked into the bank with him as he cashed a single quarterly royalty check for over $45,000.
.../...
But I've seen monstrous checks firsthand. And if it would make a difference to you, I can certainly send you a screenshot of my ASCAP year-end statement from last year privately. Life is good for me.

~~Matt
Hey Matt,

I'm just curious. How many years (of long and hard work I suppose) did it take to your "friend" and/or to you, to acheive to have more than decent incomes through royalties ? I imagine that it didn't happen in a few months ?

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:30 am

PhilRey wrote:I see. Thanks for the explanation ;) So in the end Taxi is more like an entry point. The rest depends more on your hability to follow up with the libraries they can put you in contact with, and provide regular good stuff... (And of course this can take years to finally come back to you)...
Yeah..It's a foot in the door..it's not a job

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:39 am

ERN - You already know the answer to this one. You don't walk through a minefield, you follow somebody who knows the way.

search for the 5 year plan in this forum and on youtube / taxi tv.

its 5 +/- years (usually +) to make something that is livable (different $ for each person).

Success isn't about being the cleverest, but more the hardest worker. Its doing at least 50 tracks per year that are killer and instantly licensable. The more the better as long as they are awesome.

Matt V who posted above knows exactly what's up with that. Desire Inspires has also been putting in the work. Mark too.

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:41 pm

Hey Matt,

I'm just curious. How many years (of long and hard work I suppose) did it take to your "friend" and/or to you, to acheive to have more than decent incomes through royalties ? I imagine that it didn't happen in a few months ?
Sorry Ern, don't mean to derail your thread here, but in answer to Phil's post.... Phil, check out this video with myself and Chuck Henry. I think we both talk about these timelines in here somewhere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHgWK37sQ1E

~~Matt

PhilRey
Impressive
Impressive

Post by PhilRey » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:21 am

VanderBoegh wrote:
Hey Matt,

Sorry Ern, don't mean to derail your thread here, but in answer to Phil's post.... Phil, check out this video with myself and Chuck Henry. I think we both talk about these timelines in here somewhere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHgWK37sQ1E

~~Matt
Thak you very much Matt. That's very good information & confirmation. ;)