History of Top 40 Success with Taxi

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

User avatar
VicMartinez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:33 am
Gender: Male
Location: Tokyo Japan
Contact:

History of Top 40 Success with Taxi

Postby VicMartinez » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:58 pm

Hello everyone!

Still sort of a newbie on this platform but really enjoying the great advice and good vibes that people bring here.

QUESTION: What is TAXIs history of success with getting songwriters/production teams signed or at least in contact with
publishers or industry people in the US Top 40 realm. My co writer and I primarily write music that reflects the US top 40 charts and although we are working to strengthen other areas of our composition/production ability TOP 40 still remains our focus. Any experience/advice with this topic is welcome.

P.S. Quick shout out to Michael Laskow for putting this amazing platform together. Its the only thing that has made it possible for my co writer and I to get our music out there while deployed outside the US. Thank you Michael!

Also heres some our music incase anyones curious: (Feedback always welcome)

"Breath"
https://soundcloud.com/songtagious/breathe/s-bn69X

"Paper Planes"
https://soundcloud.com/songtagious/paper-planes/s-BQsG4

"Better"
https://soundcloud.com/songtagious/better/s-5hcdM

"Stx N Stnz"
https://soundcloud.com/songtagious/stx-n-stnz/s-MLk7s
Vic
User avatar
VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1619
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:47 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Boise, Idaho
Contact:

Re: History of Top 40 Success with Taxi

Postby VanderBoegh » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:28 pm

Hey guys, I just took a listen to those tracks you posted to see what side of Top 40 spectrum you're writing in. Sounds like you're leaning towards The Chainsmokers side of things, which is really awesome. I REALLY liked what I heard, and can definitely hear the potential of you two as a songwriting duo.

As for your question, Taxi puts people in touch with publishers, artists, and management for major A-Listers daily (or at least weekly). Now, how many of those connections actually pan out into some type of concrete measurable success is an unknown, and I don't even think Michael Laskow would know the answer to this, as it would involve the Taxi members telling the Taxi staff about their successes (and we know, sadly, that the lion's share of Taxi members don't actually share their success stories with the rest of the organization or members).

You won't read about many of those artist-focused successes on this forum, as most of the regular posters here are chasing down different areas of music, mostly involving cracking into the TV placement market, either through instrumental cues or full songs geared specifically towards TV (and you can find PLENTY of those success stories here!). But I can think of a few people off the top of my head who have had some artist-type songs get cut by fairly substantial artists, all from a Taxi forward.

So, it definitely does happen. How often, well, who knows? Plus, I suppose you really have to define what you mean by "success".... For some, just knowing that your music made it on to the desk of a manager, label rep, artist, etc... would be thrilling enough.

Anyway, best of luck to you guys. Hope to see you around here more often!

~~Matt
User avatar
WeWillWriteUaSong
Committed Musician
Committed Musician
Posts: 859
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:45 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Re: History of Top 40 Success with Taxi

Postby WeWillWriteUaSong » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:14 am

This may help. ML posted this response a while back. Scroll to the bottom. Best of luck with everything! :D

https://bit.ly/2qz8qT8
Marcus aka CaiNo

"Those with evil intentions or contentious thoughts are instantly vanquished. The Art of Peace is invincible because it contends with nothing."

http://www.taxi.com/wewillwriteuasong
http://www.soundcloud.com/wewillwriteuasong
User avatar
cosmicdolphin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician
Posts: 921
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:46 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: History of Top 40 Success with Taxi

Postby cosmicdolphin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:36 am

Good answers above

Also, it's not always about getting in the door with Top 40 artists/writers/publishers. If you aim for the TV & Film licensing opportunities you have a much greater chance of getting placements and exposure which can A: Earn you money along the way & B: Get you exposure which can get you to where you want to be.

Plenty of previously unknown songs lading in the charts due to being in a TV show or Movie., and if/when the call does come you'll have more credibility by having a track record in licensing that you can point to.

Mark
User avatar
LOCK88
Committed Musician
Committed Musician
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:50 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: History of Top 40 Success with Taxi

Postby LOCK88 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:39 pm

Vic, your songwriting is ridiculously good man. Keep pitching to these artist placement opportunities. If your song is good enough, you will get the call. And to my ears, your phone will be ringing. Keep up the great work!!!
Robb Smith / LOCK-88
Songwriter | Producer
Laguna Beach, Ca
http://www.Lock88Music.com
User avatar
VicMartinez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:33 am
Gender: Male
Location: Tokyo Japan
Contact:

Re: History of Top 40 Success with Taxi

Postby VicMartinez » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:21 pm

VanderBoegh wrote:Hey guys, I just took a listen to those tracks you posted to see what side of Top 40 spectrum you're writing in. Sounds like you're leaning towards The Chainsmokers side of things, which is really awesome. I REALLY liked what I heard, and can definitely hear the potential of you two as a songwriting duo.

As for your question, Taxi puts people in touch with publishers, artists, and management for major A-Listers daily (or at least weekly). Now, how many of those connections actually pan out into some type of concrete measurable success is an unknown, and I don't even think Michael Laskow would know the answer to this, as it would involve the Taxi members telling the Taxi staff about their successes (and we know, sadly, that the lion's share of Taxi members don't actually share their success stories with the rest of the organization...

~~Matt


Matt,

Thank you so much for taking the time to listen to our tracks and for your very thorough response. You made many great points that I now realize my partner and I must reflect on. Especially reflecting on what our definition of success is. I imagine like most other Taxi members the end goal is to write and produce full time but there are other steps before getting there that can definitely be considered a win. Also thanks for that great interview you did with Cory Henry a while back. I just listened to it the other day at the gym and really learned a ton. So thanks for that. Hope to see you at the Road Rally this year.

Best of luck in the meantime,

-Vic
Vic
User avatar
VicMartinez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:33 am
Gender: Male
Location: Tokyo Japan
Contact:

Re: History of Top 40 Success with Taxi

Postby VicMartinez » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:22 pm

WeWillWriteUaSong wrote:This may help. ML posted this response a while back. Scroll to the bottom. Best of luck with everything! :D

https://bit.ly/2qz8qT8


That link was SPOT ON! Cant thank you enough for that. Btw I love your voice bro. Would love to do a collab in the future.

-Vic
Vic
User avatar
VicMartinez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:33 am
Gender: Male
Location: Tokyo Japan
Contact:

Re: History of Top 40 Success with Taxi

Postby VicMartinez » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:25 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:Good answers above

Also, it's not always about getting in the door with Top 40 artists/writers/publishers. If you aim for the TV & Film licensing opportunities you have a much greater chance of getting placements and exposure which can A: Earn you money along the way & B: Get you exposure which can get you to where you want to be.

Plenty of previously unknown songs lading in the charts due to being in a TV show or Movie., and if/when the call does come you'll have more credibility by having a track record in licensing that you can point to.

Mark


Excellent point Mark! I have been considering writing for sync placements but have not actively pursued it yet. Are there resources you would recommend to become proficient in this style of writing?

-Vic
Vic
User avatar
cosmicdolphin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician
Posts: 921
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:46 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: History of Top 40 Success with Taxi

Postby cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:11 am

VicMartinez wrote:Excellent point Mark! I have been considering writing for sync placements but have not actively pursued it yet. Are there resources you would recommend to become proficient in this style of writing?

-Vic


Hi Vic

I think you're already proficient. You're writing good music that sounds like current stuff in the charts..that's what they want ! That and an instrumental version of it.

Marcus aka WeWillWriteUaSong has already chimed in but he's the man to ask about all this.

Mark

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests