Introducing myself and a question (or two)

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Devany

Introducing myself and a question (or two)

Post by Devany » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:53 am

Hello Taxi world.

I am Robin, based in the UK, and I'm thinking about joining Taxi proper and submitting music, songs and instrumentals etc.

Yesterday I received an email that said "SAVE $100 on TAXI Today!" and I had been mulling over listing TAXI #Y180419EU - and I thought that the following piece may be appropriate:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XhbL5 ... zDD6G7CnmK

Of course, I'd love feedback and I realise that posting it here is not submitting it. Anyhoo, here's my questions:

1. The listing must be received today (April 19th). If I join now, will I be able to submit it today?
2. How would I get the $100 discount from overseas? Do I have to make an international call?

Many thanks for reading, any opinions would be helpful.

SteveBaruah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Introducing myself and a question (or two)

Post by SteveBaruah » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:51 am

Hi Robin,

I am also from the UK (now in Austria). I couldn't look up the listing as the deadline has now passed.
As far as I can remember, once you sign up you have instant access.
Taxi is well worth the membership in my opinion, especially if you are getting $100 off!

As for your instrumental piece, you've got some good ideas and energy there.
Something sounds off tuning wise, maybe the guitar panned left...?
That acoustic guitar intro needs EQing.
You also need to brings those drums up a lot!

Most people benefit a lot from Taxi and improve their skill sets.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:02 am

Hi Robin

I am also from the UK , I didn't get to see the listing either but what I did note is that your track seemed a bit of an odd mish-mash of ideas thrown together.

It's started off as an acoustic track which would have been nice if it just carried on like that , but then it morphed into some sort of dated sounding soft rock before going back to the acoustic stuff. I just wasn't quite sure what it was meant to be.

But like Steve says, join up...get submitting and gradually you will improve. It's the deadlines and feedback that will help.

Mark

Devany

Post by Devany » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:10 pm

Hi guys, thanks for posting (and listening).

Good to hear there are people from the UK here.

Thanks again.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:53 pm

Hi Devany,
Another UK member here (and I know there are more). If its helps, here's a few of my thoughts about Taxi.

Its a great place to find opportunities for connecting with music libraries and even direct to TV/film music supervisors. Its a great place to meet like-minded musicians and even form partnerships with them. This forum is a fantastic resource full of great information and is frequented by people of all abilities and success levels, so there's pretty much nothing you could ask that hasn't already been answered or can't be answered again by an expert here. The weekly Taxi TV sessions are really informative, and the free (if you can get there) annual Rally is an amazing event that no-one should miss out on. The education and the support network of this very positive community is worth the ticket price.

Having said all of that, for most people signing-up is a commitment to keep writing new material, keep submitting it, keep getting better at it, etc. It certainly isn't easy, and there's no quick route to fame and fortune. Having a few tunes or songs already that you think might work is unlikely to lead to much (although it can and does happen). Having the drive and desire to be persistent in the long-term is probably far more important. Everybody's skill set and learning rate is different, and for some its hard to progress. Others learn very quickly, and soon apply their talents in ways that get them to the attention of the right people quite fast, and they soon start to see the rewards. All of us are still learning, though some not yet earning (including me). If all of that sounds interesting to you, then there's no better place.

If you want to know what the standard is like, head to the Forwards section of this forum and listen to the tracks that are being passed on by Taxi. There's no guarantee that any of them will be signed, placed and earn money, but they are considered good enough to compete by Taxi's industry expert screeners. If you want to hear some track that are signed or placed and earning, then head to the Success Stories section of the Forum.

I hope that helps your decision process :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.