The Process

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ochaim
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

The Process

Post by ochaim » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:31 pm

Just wanted to share this video of how a “happy” cue is produced. Regardless of the genre, I always learn something from these kinds of videos.

https://youtu.be/sXL9Nk6jtKI

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: The Process

Post by lesmac » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:27 pm

Thanks Owen will watch later at home. Good find.

ScreamieBirds
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by ScreamieBirds » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:55 am

Cool! I love watching the process - so helpful to peek over somebody's shoulder to see how they do it.

Btw, I'm new here - just joined TAXI - catching up on these amazingly helpful posts.

Kathy
Screamie Birds Studios
http://www.screamiebirds.com

jaymz
Active
Active

Post by jaymz » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:54 pm

I dig his keyboard mouse setup.

ochaim
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ochaim » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:30 pm

ScreamieBirds wrote:Cool! I love watching the process - so helpful to peek over somebody's shoulder to see how they do it.

Btw, I'm new here - just joined TAXI - catching up on these amazingly helpful posts.

Kathy
It really is helpful. It can be really amazing to see how an idea develops and the tools/sounds libraries that are used.

Welcome to Taxi! Make sure you make the most of everything thats available to you to help woth submissions as well like the TaxiTV archives and peer to peer subforum. Good luck, Kathy!

ochaim
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ochaim » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:32 pm

jaymz wrote:I dig his keyboard mouse setup.
yeah, me too. i dont know if i could ever get my work area to stay that clean and uncluttered.

looks like he must be using an expression pedal as well.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:24 pm

Hi Owen!

Thanks for sharing that!! Something I realized while watching him add layer after layer after layer: I'll bet 90% of the placements he'll get with it will be a stripped down version with just a few instruments... like what we heard in the first 5 minutes of the video. Simple arpeggio with a couple more do dads added.

When he adds all the strings and other layers, it become very grandiose... impressively so, but less useable. Too big for many productions. For those of you who are new to TAXI and composing in general, it's a common theme among our most successful members, that the pieces they get the most placements with and earn the most income from, are almost always the simplest of cues.

And remember, RARELY do whole cues ever get used in their entirety!!! It's mostly 17 seconds of this, 38 seconds of that sort of stuff, and music is rarely the focus. It's almost always the picture and the story.

So, while I admire that guy's work, it's important to remember that often times, simpler is better! That piece is impressively big, but I'll bet the composer has stems of just the keyboards used early in the piece, and I'll bet that over the years, those will be the money-makers.

best,
Michael

shddrum

Post by shddrum » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:34 pm