Hang with your friends from the TAXI TV Chat Room and discuss the episodes

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

JeanieLarkin
Active
Active

Just what I needed - thank you!

Post by JeanieLarkin » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:29 am

Hello there,

I'm a new member - I haven't got around to properly editing my profile and introducing myself yet but just wanted to thank the Taxi team and Bob Mete for the surprise video on Wed. Although, I actually fell asleep during both Mon and Wed live episodes this week!... (watching from Wales, UK was the problem - not the content!) - I have since managed to catch up with them later - and I'm so glad I watched the episode with Bob.

Since joining, my goal has been to submit once a week. However, this week I had left it a bit late to challenge myself to produce a song for a deadline on Wednesday. I had been concentrating on instrumental cues as they're just a bit more manageable for now whilst I'm trying to learn and improve my production skills. Well, Wednesday night I totally hit a brick wall and was gutted that I had to admit defeat and reassess what I did so terribly wrong in my production process to end up in a complete tangle of arrangement ideas, none of which I was happy with and nowhere near the finish line.

Watching Bob talk about his process was so refreshing and heartening. It helped me to refocus my efforts and also make sure that in future I take the time I need to set a vision for the song, plan out the arrangement, have a clear direction and try to harness the genius of simplicity.

If any members have any tips they'd like to share about how they improved their production process when starting out - I would love to hear them. (My set up is an old MacBook Pro, Logic Pro X, Yamaha Clavinova, electric and acoustic guitars, AKG 120 perception USB mic and trying to get every ounce of juice out of Logic's stock samples and plug-ins for now).

Feeling a bit more patient and positive!

Cheers,

Jeanie Larkin

T4xiz

Re: Just what I needed - thank you!

Post by T4xiz » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:58 pm

I think that's a good setup you have there. Do you have any immediate plans for upgrading?

JeanieLarkin
Active
Active

Post by JeanieLarkin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:29 am

I've considered an iMac but right now I think it's more practical for me to stick with my laptop as I prefer being able to work wherever, when not recording.

I'm considering better virtual instrument software but don't know whether to go nuts and invest in something like Komplete Ultimate or just go for specific packs, once I get a better idea of what I'll be best at producing... Right now I'm more interested to learn the basics of recording, arranging, mixing and mastering in a variety of genres with what I have and if my VI are not cutting it, then invest... I don't have the money to invest in the wrong software!

My other issue is the memory needed to run them... I currently use a LacieRugged external HD to take the pressure off my old laptop... But would it be sufficient to run something like Komplete Ultimate? I have no idea... I'm so new to this!!

Jeanie

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:29 pm

I agree, another 2 great Taxi webisodes this week! I watched them both today.

Thanks to Michael, Bob & Brooke for all your time and great tips!

Jeanie, these Taxi boards are filled with years of tips on production, gear, production, composition ... everything you need to know. I suggest searching on a topic of interest and then spend a few hours just reading all the past posts on that topic. To me it's like reading a good book, it's amazing how much a person can learn from the Taxi forum.

Good luck, Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

JeanieLarkin
Active
Active

Post by JeanieLarkin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:57 pm

Thanks Jim, I'm sure you're right... I've only skimmed the surface of the production and gear posts. I also need to get better acquainted with the other discussion groups. So many useful resources, where to start?! :? :)

For me, the videos have definitely been the most helpful and inspiring so far, just to get me started. Now I have more specific questions, I think the forums will be my next stop to have a good rummage through.

Looking forward to tonight's episode!

Jeanie