with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

LaurelCecelia
Active
Active

Presonus Studio One

Post by LaurelCecelia » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:33 am

Hey All,
Does anyone here use Studio One? I've been working with it for 2 years and STILL get so frustrated when I can't figure out why it doesn't work easily!!! Spent an hour and a half today trying to get it to play back!! I could see the midi information on the track but could not hear it! AGGHHH!!! I'm a Mac person and love the ease of Garage Band. Should I trash Studio One and get Logic???

Laurel

edmondredd
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Presonus Studio One

Post by edmondredd » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:31 am

my advice would be highly biased since I'm a logic user myself.
I did try Studio one for a couple of hours, but went back to Logic.
The main idea here is to understand your DAW, and get immersed with it. It doesn't really matter which. It only matters to you and your convenience.
Since you're a Mac person, and already experienced the ease of Garage band, then Logic could be your next upgrade.
Could be.
Because you have to take in consideration several things before, like what genre of music are you doing. Do you need to perform live?
Do you want to switch to PC one day? etc etc..
But in general, for around $200, for Logic, in my opinion, it's the best you can get!
Last edited by edmondredd on Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image

LaurelCecelia
Active
Active

Post by LaurelCecelia » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:05 am

Thanks, Edmund, for your thoughts. Good things to think about. I'm definitely NEVER switching to PC!!! LOL And probably will never perform live using my DAW.

FYI: Whenever I'm asked for something with a quick turnaround I always jump into Garage Band because it's so intuitive and therefore, quick for me to use. That probably tells me I should switch to Logic!!!!!

One Question about Logic. Do you do your mastering in Logic? I'm not talking about mastering an entire album of songs.....just cues for Taxi submissions.

Thanks for your help.
Laurel

edmondredd
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edmondredd » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:08 am

No worries, Laurel.
Again my only advice, learn your DAW inside out, so not to worry about technical issues, and focus on the creation side of things.
Yes I do master my tracks for the submissions, and I mix along the way as well, so I do very little tweaks at the master bus.
And usually libraries ask (at least for the music I write) for unmastered stems, so they would actually master the entire album to their likings,

HTH,

edmond
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image

LaurelCecelia
Active
Active

Post by LaurelCecelia » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:14 am

Agreed!!!! I spend WAY too much time figuring out the technical side of things rather than focusing on the creative side.

Thanks for the input.
Laurel

LaurelCecelia
Active
Active

Post by LaurelCecelia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:39 am

Hey Edmond,
An update on my Studio One issues.....I finally paid for help with the tech guys at Obedia. Spent 50 minutes on the phone with one of them and he discovered that Studio One had a slight 'glitch' that was causing the problems. And all this time I thought it was just me who couldn't make it work right!!!

I'm very relieved to find that I was doing it right and the software was failing me! Off now to finish recording my tension cue.

Laurel

edmondredd
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edmondredd » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:39 am

glad to hear that!
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:37 pm

Why buy? You can try Tracktion 6 for free.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

LaurelCecelia
Active
Active

Post by LaurelCecelia » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:12 pm

Hey Mojo....

I hadn't heard of Traktion before this. Do you use it?

I really liked using Garage Band, which come installed on a Mac but found I needed a little 'more' when recording bigger projects. I was considering Logic but then won Studio One at the Road Rally! I've been working on it since, although I still use Garage Band for projects that are simple and have a quick turn-around time. The Owners Manual for Studio One is not as user friendly as Mac Products..... That's why I chose to use Obedia. I can get them on the phone, explain my issue and they solve it quickly. Very nice.

To each his/her own, I guess!

Laurel

MusicBug
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MusicBug » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:49 pm

I use Studio One, Artist, mostly because it was the only Windows-based DAW I could afford (other than Reaper) after my old Mac died back in January. It's okay, but takes a lot of getting used to after having been a Mac user for about a gazillion years. I am annoyed about not being able to use 3rd-party plugins without paying another upgrade fee. But until I can move back to Mac (and I will!!!!) someday, I'm making due as best I can.

I understand your frustration and I sympathize. Keep working!
"It's Never Too Late To Be What You Could Have Been." -- George Eliot