High energy EDM - Is this the one?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

joshjameslim
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

High energy EDM - Is this the one?

Post by joshjameslim » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:33 am

Hello there! I've got another EDM instrumental I'm thinking of submitting but want to make sure it's on target for the listing. Also looking for any feedback on the overall song - what's working / what's not etc.

My track -

https://soundcloud.com/joshjameslim/going-up/s-yOXDP

Reference -

“Like I Do” by David Guetta, Martin Garrix & Brooks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfPu9Jrcpuk

“How Deep Is Your Love” by Calvin Harris & Disciples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgqUJOudrcM

Illmerica by Wolfgang Gartner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_rQ6Av0gMY

Please send cutting-edge EDM Instrumentals with a contemporary sound and tons of fist-pumping energy. Your Instrumentals should be innovative with plenty of big-sounding Synths, moving melodies and driving rhythms. Your submissions should be able to work well in the context of Film and TV. They DO NOT want any hectic drum ‘n’ bass tracks. Be sure any instrumentation you use sounds current and not dated.

Thanks!

Josh

PhilRey
Impressive
Impressive

Re: High energy EDM - Is this the one?

Post by PhilRey » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:20 pm

Like Tom, very nice work but maybe not agressive enough compared to the temp tracks?
I guess this could be fixed by working a little bit on the mix, and eventually with more agressive sounds (mainly basses, or low frequencies..)
But you might not want to modify this song either.. it's really cool as it is (just a tiny different mood than what it's asked in the brief I'm affraid)

PS: I would love to hear a vocal version of it !

Good luck ;) - Phil

joshjameslim
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by joshjameslim » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:09 pm

Hey guys thanks for the feedback! After listening again, I have to agree with both of you, the energy isn't quite aggressive enough on that track compared to the references. I'll save it for another listing and Phil, maybe I will get a vocalist on there!

Decided to do another one from scratch and really focus on the "fist pumping" aspect of the brief. Link below, let me know what you think!

https://soundcloud.com/joshjameslim/the ... ge/s-q6V3C

Josh

PhilRey
Impressive
Impressive

Post by PhilRey » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:38 pm

It's another nice track Josh, a little bit more agressive, however still not as agressive as in the temp tracks i'm affraid... Sorry to say it ;) I'm expecting to hear more distortions, compressions etc...

joshjameslim
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by joshjameslim » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:15 pm

Thanks for the honesty Phil! Definitely agree, I've still got a lot to learn when it comes to EDM production.

I did end up submitting the 2nd track so we'll see what happens. Fingers crossed!

PhilRey
Impressive
Impressive

Post by PhilRey » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:38 pm

Sure ! you never know ;) Best of luck !

PS: may I ask what is your favorite sound bank regarding EDM ?

joshjameslim
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by joshjameslim » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:36 am

So for drum samples, one shots and loops I'd highly recommend checking out Splice.com. It's a subscription service that focuses primarily on electronic music production and it's got an amazing collection of samples from actual producers as well as commercial sample libraries. There are some synth presets in there as well but it's definitely focused more on samples at the moment.

For synth sounds, I think Sylenth and Serum are probably the go to at the moment. Both of those VSTs come with a really solid collection of presets that will work really well for EDM.

If you want to expand to more genre specific presets, I'd check out https://vandalism-sounds.com. I guess they just moved to a subscription model as well, which I haven't tried yet. However I have purchased presets packs from them in the past and they are super solid.

Anyway hope that helps!

VicMartinez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by VicMartinez » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:08 pm

I really dig the mood on this track Josh. I agree with a couple of the other dudes in the sense that its not necessarily as aggressive as the examples on the listing but the vibe your already captured really works well on its own. Hope it does well for you.

-Vic
Vic

PhilRey
Impressive
Impressive

Post by PhilRey » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:22 am

joshjameslim wrote:So for drum samples, one shots and loops I'd highly recommend checking out Splice.com. It's a subscription service that focuses primarily on electronic music production and it's got an amazing collection of samples from actual producers as well as commercial sample libraries. There are some synth presets in there as well but it's definitely focused more on samples at the moment.

For synth sounds, I think Sylenth and Serum are probably the go to at the moment. Both of those VSTs come with a really solid collection of presets that will work really well for EDM.

If you want to expand to more genre specific presets, I'd check out https://vandalism-sounds.com. I guess they just moved to a subscription model as well, which I haven't tried yet. However I have purchased presets packs from them in the past and they are super solid.

Anyway hope that helps!
Thank you so much Josh ! I'll check all this !

joshjameslim
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by joshjameslim » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:41 pm

Thanks Vic, appreciate that! I think it could work well for a more chill electronic/dance listing in the future.

Phil, no problem at all. Happy to pass on the knowledge!