'Triple whammy' return

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ShannonM
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

'Triple whammy' return

Post by ShannonM » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:39 pm

Just got the worst return so far since joining Taxi. Man, what a bummer...all three tracks returned, with each one having multiple problems. :( Oh well, you live and learn. And I feel bad for the poor screener who had to endure my three tracks!! lol. Will try my best not to repeat this again!

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: 'Triple whammy' return

Post by VanderBoegh » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:14 pm

It's happened to all of us at some point, Shannon. In fact, it happens to everyone more often than we'd all care to admit!!

Dust yourself off and come back swinging.

~~Matt

ShannonM
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by ShannonM » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:09 am

Thanks, Matt. I will take your advice. Your words are reassuring!

Mixnow3
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Mixnow3 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:45 pm

Hang in there Shannon. I had 1 forward early on then 23 consecutive returns and then had 2 forwards after that. What's really helped me recently is focusing on only a couple genres that are my strength, making the changes the screeners have outlined, watching Taxi TV, and posting my tracks on the Taxi Forum for feedback.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:02 am

Hi Shannon,
Its all part of learning what works and what doesn't, and in the long run (which is what this is) every return will help you 'tune in' the tracks that do get forwarded. Long spells of returns can be demoralising but its the medicine that makes you stronger, and we all take it! :)
See you in the Forwards section.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

ShannonM
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by ShannonM » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:10 am

Thanks you guys. I understand that painters, writers, musicians, actors, models....and the list goes on....all experience rejection at many different points in our careers...and we all need to just move on and keep creating if that's what makes us happy. So I will do just that. :)

JNav
Active
Active

Post by JNav » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:30 am

Cannot be afraid to fail. That said, it IS a lot harder when you put such an intimate piece of yourself on the chopping block even in the form of an instrumental. It's my greatest fear even when doing co-writes. But it's part of what we do, occupational hazard (lol). Keep at it, take from it what can make you better and keep going!

Best,
-J

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:27 am

Some of the most successful composers we all know and love here still get returns. It's part of the game. A return doesn't necessarily mean your music is bad, it may mean that it just wasn't a good fit to the listing. Or, it could be bad, and in that case you have to take the screener feedback and learn from it.

Also be sure to take advantage of the Peer to Peer forum here, let folks hear your work and make suggestions to help improve your music. Sometimes a good feedback session can save you a few dollars by convincing you not to submit because a track isn't ready.

Paul
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

matcreedon
Active
Active

Post by matcreedon » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:28 pm

Ouch! Don't worry you are not alone, chin up, time to get back on the horse :)
Smiles a lot and tells the longest stories :D
https://www.matcreedon.net

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Wed May 02, 2018 12:46 pm

Hey Shannon--

Just to add to the excellent advice that others have shared, I have found that getting returns causes me to go through a standard mourning process...

1) First, excitement to see what the screener said.
2) Then, deep pain and sorrow that they had anything "negative" (yes, constructive, but that's later) to say about my track.
3) Escape. I get away from my music for a time, and deal with my rejection. At times, even wondering what I'm doing in music--I'm no good, blah, blah.
4) Taking a deep breath, and thinking, "Nothing's going to stop me, darn it. I've come this far, and I'm not going to quit now!"
5) Realizing the feedback the screener gave me is the best way to make my tracks better and improve my chances of getting placed in the future.
6) Reading over the screener's critique in a deliberate, deep way to take in every comment so as to use it to specifically improve my future tracks.
7) On to the next track/submission.

As much as I don't want this cycle to continue in the first 3 points above, I can't help it. My heart is in my tracks and I've spent so many years that rejection from a professional hurts, but, the more I realize it's a process, the more I accept it and can move on.

Hope this helps!
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon