Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Thoughts on New Steinberg/Neve Interface

Post by Razor7Music » Fri May 04, 2018 8:42 pm

Hey Group--

Once I update my DAW to W10, I'm going to need a new interface (drivers is the reason).

I've been pretty set on the Focusrite scarlet, or maybe the smaller i/o versions, and then I see this ad for this Steinberg interface with Neve circuitry, for a pretty good price, and I have to know more. https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/a ... r_rt2.html

Has anyone heard any reviews of it, or messed with it at NAMM?

Looking for real experiences, but I know it hasn't started shipping yet.

Thanks!
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Thoughts on New Steinberg/Neve Interface

Post by Len911 » Sat May 05, 2018 3:11 am

Hey Stephen! Neve circuitry? You mean Neve transformers with Yamaha mic pres? Personally, imo, each Neve product should probably be evaluated on it's own merits. The Neve 1073 mic pre is probably the most famous. I had a 9098 pre/eq, and the api was much better sounding imo, but the api has transformers, the 9098 didn't, however, rupert in the accompanying booklet praised the merits of tla's over transformers? Neve is probably as much a salesman as he is an audio engineer. on the steinberg portico
plugins, " I never have thought that digital can deliver the depth and perspective of first-class analog gear. I'm completely convinced by the VCM technology.” I'm not knocking either the transformers or yamaha mic pres, I'm just sayin' they're not like companies like API who are more consistent in their design and components.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Sat May 05, 2018 9:25 am

Len911 wrote:Hey Stephen! Neve circuitry? You mean Neve transformers with Yamaha mic pres? Personally, imo, each Neve product should probably be evaluated on it's own merits. The Neve 1073 mic pre is probably the most famous. I had a 9098 pre/eq, and the api was much better sounding imo, but the api has transformers, the 9098 didn't, however, rupert in the accompanying booklet praised the merits of tla's over transformers? Neve is probably as much a salesman as he is an audio engineer. on the steinberg portico
plugins, " I never have thought that digital can deliver the depth and perspective of first-class analog gear. I'm completely convinced by the VCM technology.” I'm not knocking either the transformers or yamaha mic pres, I'm just sayin' they're not like companies like API who are more consistent in their design and components.
Hey Len--

I knew someone would call me out on that. I was posting this on my phone and didn't go into the details --so I just said circuitry--but, yes. I did read the write up. Sounds like there's a chance they just bought the Neve name, more than anything substantial with the audio.

Great info on API. My mouth waters every time I see a studio with a large API console...

Anyway, I'm not expecting anything outstanding with a USB interface under $400. I'm just wondering how it compares to others in its class. I like everything I've read on the Focusrite's, but want to do my homework, because an interface has an significant impact on my workflow if I have issues or it colors my sound in a way I don't like.

It doesn't start shipping until June, but I'm sure someone is going to do a review on it, and I'll hang tight until then. I'm not in a rush!

Good to hear from you. Hope all is well.
Thanks,

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Sat May 05, 2018 1:55 pm

I think you are right, the price point is probably the main issue. Yamaha (steinberg) seems to be fairly reliable and not known for pushing out many buggy products. The transformer is variable or none, which is good, you probably wouldn't want a lot on a vocal.
The other thing, it appears that the transformers are pre a/d converter, so that likely means that whatever the dial is on the transformer effect it isn't going to overload the a/d circuit. Another advantage is the onboard effect chip, that allows reverb, guitar cab... onboard, thereby eliminating the need to route in and out of your daw for headphone mixes, thereby eliminating latency.
As far as the Focusrite, it probably depends on whether there is an onboard a/d converter. If not, it's possible that there's not only
input transformers, but output transformers as well, whereas with the onboard a/d converter, no output transformer like the Neve/Yamaha.
Bottom line, there are some good ideas here, you can add a little or a lot of color to the clean Yamaha preamps, plus the fx chip,
plus a/d converter, all rolled into one.

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Sat May 05, 2018 2:12 pm

Awesome! Thanks, Len

BTW, if you use a DAW what audio interface, a/d converter do you use? What do you like or dislike about it?

I'm using an Echo Layla 3G, PCI interface. They're out of the market and although I've read their drivers work with W10, I'm not going to stick with them when there is no support.
Thanks,

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Sat May 05, 2018 6:45 pm

I use Cubase, I have an RME adi2 a/d converter going spdif to an m-audio delta pci card. I use API 200 series mic pres, compressors and noisegate. I also have an Oram octasonic and octamix.

My system was before the advent of many of the affordable options that exist now like usb.

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Sat May 05, 2018 9:31 pm

Len911 wrote:I use Cubase, I have an RME adi2 a/d converter going spdif to an m-audio delta pci card. I use API 200 series mic pres, compressors and noisegate. I also have an Oram octasonic and octamix.

My system was before the advent of many of the affordable options that exist now like usb.
RME makes good stuff. I'm a little nervous about latency to go from PCI to USB...but the class of equipment costs goes up quite a bit to go PCI these days... I'm using Sonar for my DAW and my roundtrip latency is 11.5 ms.
Thanks,

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:42 pm

You won't have a roundtrip latency if you use the onboard effects chip in the Neve/Yamaha. I don't use any effects when I record so I don't have any round trip latency. I tried once or twice using the Cubase "control room", for effects, but the latency was too much. The only other option would be to record with reverb or other effects, which I don't wish to do.