Please give your input on this return - Thought I nailed this one.

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: Please give your input on this return - Thought I nailed this one.

Post by andygabrys » Tue May 08, 2018 2:25 pm

Cool piece.

I see what the screener is saying.

Turns out the first ref is on the same label as the Thievery Corporation. You dig trip hop stuff? Its definitely in that zone. Its not so much of a melody statement, its more of a band sound / "motif" that is developed and keeps on grooving. Usually that means very spacious on the actual "melody" component and the groove. Modern-retro, or vintage - thats also right in the trip-hop / Oceans 11 vibe.

If you took your tune and made the bass start off at the beginning, put about 25% of the guitar stuff in there and massively lightened up on the solo, and turned the keys into a steady groove thing (Rhodes can't hurt, or maybe some upright piano vibe like the second ref or combine the two in a sparse fashion) you would definitely have something closer. Its just pretty dense right now.

I would go that way and find somebody that is looking for trip - hop / groove / chill instrumentals. There are still plenty of uses out there for that.

Wicked touch with the bar on the guitar solo part - really dug that Jeff Beck vibe you had going around 1:50 - 2:00.

ChazAldi
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ChazAldi » Tue May 08, 2018 3:40 pm

JNav wrote:It's so hard to know what they want when 'close to' is the only thing to go off of. But I agree with the reply before mine, it def has the bluesy element. I don't hear the jazz influences as much though. Maybe making the record a little more retro sounding could have given you more of an edge...? Dunno. I liked it though. Really good gtr work, I felt the emotion.

It's always the ones we think we knock out of the park that gets us, lol. I just had a similar experience with a songwriter I was asked to produce and was given the direction I thought I hit out of the park only to get knocked down, lol. But I picked up my jaw (and ego) from the floor and did another approach and she loved it.

✌️ - J
Thanks for the input and taking the time to listen. I am glad you enjoyed the song!

ChazAldi
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ChazAldi » Tue May 08, 2018 3:43 pm

andygabrys wrote:Cool piece.

I see what the screener is saying.

Turns out the first ref is on the same label as the Thievery Corporation. You dig trip hop stuff? Its definitely in that zone. Its not so much of a melody statement, its more of a band sound / "motif" that is developed and keeps on grooving. Usually that means very spacious on the actual "melody" component and the groove. Modern-retro, or vintage - thats also right in the trip-hop / Oceans 11 vibe.

If you took your tune and made the bass start off at the beginning, put about 25% of the guitar stuff in there and massively lightened up on the solo, and turned the keys into a steady groove thing (Rhodes can't hurt, or maybe some upright piano vibe like the second ref or combine the two in a sparse fashion) you would definitely have something closer. Its just pretty dense right now.

I would go that way and find somebody that is looking for trip - hop / groove / chill instrumentals. There are still plenty of uses out there for that.

Wicked touch with the bar on the guitar solo part - really dug that Jeff Beck vibe you had going around 1:50 - 2:00.
Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and compare. And thanks for all the great insight. I am really glad you dug the song. And thanks for the SoundCloud follow!