songwriting groups

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jdsky

songwriting groups

Post by jdsky » Wed May 23, 2018 9:40 am

hi,
A songwriting group that I belong to (no names please) issue of mine: after a song is played there are critiques as you go around the table. But people who have obviously have much less experience than me in music and songs that are in some cases hardly songs at all ( I have to shake my head to myself sometimes) proceed to offer advise on lyrics, arrangements, production etc. I think to myself What's the value of the group to me then,? and I paid $ to be in this group.
Look i'm not a fat head and always interested in another point of view and suggestions and have had good constructive custom critiques from TAXI.
Anyway Anybody have a similar issue?

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: songwriting groups

Post by funsongs » Wed May 23, 2018 10:37 am

Hey jdsky (since I don't know your name) -
Yes - I had a very similar, even disappointing, experience.
But, my resolve was simply that that type of venue, at the cost of time & money, was NOT the best use or value of my time.
If you place the value of your time at the top (because you cannot replace it, or re-live it) - that should or can help you be wise and selective of what tools will best serve you and your personal goals.
While that group may have been a great fit for others, it was just not for me. I probably should have learned that 'failure' the first time I tried it...
but it took me several meetings before I got the hint. Know what I mean?

So - I need to heed my own advice and experience, same as I'm relating and relaying to you - to fail quickly and choose wisely.
No need to be critical and down on the group - because if it's surviving and thriving, then likely it is providing a good service to some others.
Be good with that, and move on to find what works for you.

Hope that helps. Hope you learn it more quickly than I did. :? 8-)
Cheers.
Last edited by funsongs on Wed May 23, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: songwriting groups

Post by Kolstad » Wed May 23, 2018 11:17 am

Yep, I know the feeling.
It is hard to find groups at semi-pro level.
Probably your best bet is to get on a songwriting camp, and just co-write some songs there, if you can. I know labels have them all the time, but can be hard to get in the company without some credentials.
Ceo of my own life