Help! "Does not meet the criteria of the listing..."

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

coxnvox
Impressive
Impressive

Help! "Does not meet the criteria of the listing..."

Post by coxnvox » Fri May 25, 2018 3:29 pm

Here's the listing:

COMEDIC DRAMEDY INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a fast-growing, NON-Exclusive Production Music Library that’s sending music directly to the Music Supervisor of an extremely popular Reality TV Show franchise. They’re searching for Mid-To-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues in the general stylistic wheelhouse of these examples: Leah Remini: It’s All Relative (0:29 – 1:09): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_RvJqA4pl8 “Will Dives In” from The Little People (0:00-0:55) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSnuEbcaOY0 Please submit bouncy, fun, and lively Instrumental Cues that could work really well for hilarious or silly scenes in Reality TV shows. Stick to a central melodic idea, and add dynamics and interest by weaving different elements in and out as it progresses. You’d be smart to avoid submitting anything that’s overly busy for this pitch, as that could distract from a scene’s dialogue. Submissions should be about 1.5 Minutes long (give or take), with Non-Faded, Buttoned/Stinger endings. Do NOT copy the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a guide for texture, tone, and vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine). This company offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE, 50/50 split. You’ll split any upfront sync fees 50/50. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share. The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit for this pitch. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or on CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis – Short critiques only. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT), on Tuesday, May 22nd, 2018. TAXI #Y180522CD

Here's the full critique:
"Hi Kerry,
I like the use of the brass interweaving with the mallet and pizz strings. Although, this does not meet the criteria of the listing. Consider listening to the references and notice the use of tempo and the animated feel. Listen to how the momentum carries the track."

Here's my submission:
https://soundcloud.com/kerry-cox-9/tromb-astic

I used 0:45-0:55 of the "Little People" reference as my guide. Definitely has a different vibe than the Remini example, but mine seems pretty close to the Little People, doesn't it? Can't figure out why my piece "does not meet the criteria of the listing." Any thoughts? Thanks, y'all!
James Cox
coxnvox music, evergreen, co
Founder and CEO - Missional Score
MissionalScore.com

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Help! "Does not meet the criteria of the listing..."

Post by Len911 » Fri May 25, 2018 6:27 pm

notice the use of tempo and the animated feel
cartoons are a prime example https://youtu.be/n7WzbIppYW0 they are never static, for very long. I think comedy/dramedy is more about quick action, you can never be bored to tears. funny is short, nobody laughs over 15 seconds unless they keep replaying the same short funny scene in their head. that's my thoughts.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

coxnvox
Impressive
Impressive

Post by coxnvox » Sat May 26, 2018 6:22 am

Thanks for chiming in, Len. Any idea what "use of tempo" means? As I understand it, basically all Western music for 400+ years make "use of tempo." The tempo doesn't change in any significant way in any of the examples, and extreme tempo changes would seem to make a piece much less useable. Does it mean only the exact tempo of the examples is acceptable, and no other tempo can be used? Curious how others would interpret "use of tempo."

Peace.
James Cox
Founder and CEO - Missional Score
MissionalScore.com

PhilRey
Impressive
Impressive

Post by PhilRey » Sun May 27, 2018 3:20 am

My view on this. The cetnral part lacks of rythm, mainly because of this cello doing legatos. Keep playing these same notes pizzicato or spiccato. It will give more "tempo"...
+ the kind of tuba is a bit too loud for me. + it's maybe not the proper articulation too (it makes the whole thing a little bit muddy and heavier). Maybe you could try (again) shorter notes for this (marccato... spiccato..).
+globaly too much reverb I think.

In short ;)

coxnvox
Impressive
Impressive

Post by coxnvox » Mon May 28, 2018 10:37 am

Thanks, Phil...that is SUPER helpful!

Peace,
kerry
James Cox