2 of the many things you get from Taxi

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

randonpurcell
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

2 of the many things you get from Taxi

Post by randonpurcell » Fri May 25, 2018 2:22 pm

I was thinking about all the different projects I'm working on at the moment, and, as usual, those thoughts eventually circled back around to how grateful I am for Taxi! For those of you who are newer, I wanted to share 2 very important things you CAN get from your membership that you may not think about.

1) The ability to hear criticism without getting offended or upset.
Yup, we all get or have gotten our music rejected for Taxi listings, some of us more than others. It happens. It doesn't feel good at all, and it can really set you back if you let it. BUT, try to remember this is an important part of your growth. I know we've all talked about taking those rejections and turning them into a positive by applying the comments and making your music better. Great advice btw. BUT you should also remember that the ability to grow a thick skin and accept (even appreciate) criticism and rejection is something that only comes with practice. And it will serve you very well both within Taxi and with various music industry pros as you make more and more contacts. So, remember, rejections and criticism are important, and Taxi can help you grow that thick skin you will need in the music industry.

2) Confidence
Taxi gives you confidence, plain and simple. A few years ago, I would NEVER in a million years have had the confidence to send out emails to music licensing houses and trailer houses asking them to listen to my music. No way! But thanks to Taxi, I do it regularly now. By submitting over and over again through Taxi, I first developed my relatively thick skin and improved my skills 10 fold. Once I was landing gigs and making placements I realized maybe I was good enough to take it up a notch. So I started sending out music. Guess what, I got a lot of rejections and criticisms...but mostly, the general message was "you are almost there, but not quite". So, I took all their criticisms and ran with them. Now one by one I'm approaching places again, and some of them are now accepting me or at least working with me to get me over the last hump to be part of their rosters. My confidence is 100% thanks to Taxi. Going through the submission and rejection process made me a better composer but also made me realize that I can be confident with my music and I can approach people and tell them I think I might be good enough for them.

Now, I've got a LOT more growing to do - and I hope I never reach a point in my career where I think I have nothing more to learn. If I ever reach that point, I would rather quit all together. Learning and growing is the fun part - and Taxi will help you a lot more than you probably realize.

So, try to remember, a Taxi membership is SO much more than just a portal to get music licensing gigs. So much more!

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: 2 of the many things you get from Taxi

Post by VanderBoegh » Fri May 25, 2018 5:13 pm

Now, I've got a LOT more growing to do - and I hope I never reach a point in my career where I think I have nothing more to learn. If I ever reach that point, I would rather quit all together. Learning and growing is the fun part - and Taxi will help you a lot more than you probably realize.

So, try to remember, a Taxi membership is SO much more than just a portal to get music licensing gigs. So much more!
Well said, from top to bottom.

~~Matt

PhilRey
Impressive
Impressive

Post by PhilRey » Sat May 26, 2018 4:55 am

-Motivation: hard to stay motivated sometime as a freelancer. This ongoing listings are very motivating. It puts you back at work EVERYDAY !
-Discovery: you have the ability to compose in various genres, and great examples are given by amazing artists through temp tracks everyday. A very good way to learn and to enrich your musical skills.
-Compare your work: it gives you a sense of what you're good at, or what you need to work on in order to progress. Part of being a composer is subjective and shouldn't be compared. But part of it is also very objective, technical.
-Support: Taxi members are very supportive to each other. it's not everywhere in this business.

I honestly think about Taxi as a (kind of private) University, or online courses. It's like learning through concrete excercices and feedbacks everyday.

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:23 pm

I don’t get it.