HELP!!! What am I missing?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

actuateprod

HELP!!! What am I missing?

Post by actuateprod » Wed May 30, 2018 4:46 pm

Hello Taxi Family. I've been a member for a few months now. I've had a couple of forwards, however my latest Hip Hop submissions have been return with what I feel have been contradictory feedback with the exception of Bands. That track does sound pretty repetitive throughout, however, this is how "Current" "Contemporary" Hip Hop sounds now a day, especially with what references that was included. Please take a listen and give me your honest feedback. No matter how harsh. I would rather hear constructive feedback so I can submit with more clarity in the future. Here is the posting and the link to the tracks I submitted as well as the critique I received. Thanks All!!!

Here is the links to the tracks I've submitted:

Bands: https://soundcloud.com/actuateprod/bands
Bounce: https://soundcloud.com/actuateprod/bounce
Too Fresh: https://soundcloud.com/actuateprod/too-fresh

Here is the Critique I received:

Title: Bands

Reasons not Forwarded:
Vocal Performance
Instrumental Performance
Recording

Stylistically Off Target
Music
Lyrics
Other

This has. a good start, but is very repetitive quickly, and could use more going on in the way of layering, building, as well as the introduction of new melodic motifs.
Title: Bounce

Reasons not Forwarded:
Vocal Performance
Instrumental Performance
Recording

Stylistically Off Target
Music
Lyrics
Other

This is also the same type of situation, where it needs more development.
Title: Too Fresh

Reasons not Forwarded:
Vocal Performance
Instrumental Performance
Recording

Stylistically Off Target
Music
Lyrics
Other

Nice start again, but it also becomes too repetitive, and needs to develop. When writing instrumental cues especially, try and imagine an overall arc to the music.

Y180510HH

CURRENT-SOUNDING HIP-HOP INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a large TV Production Company’s NON-Exclusive, In-House Music Library that feeds music directly to the Reality TV shows they produce. They’re looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that would fit in the general stylistic wheelhouse of these references: NOTE: We recently ran this request as a Dispatch Listing (TAXI # D180327HC), but the company didn’t get enough material and asked us to put this request out to our full list to see if we could find them more great material. If you submitted to TAXI # D180327HC, please submit different material this time around!

WARNING: Some of the following references have graphic and explicit lyrics. Listener discretion is advised. “Lemon” by N.E.R.D & Rihanna: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_u97PqWX6g “Look Alive” by BlocBoy JB & Drake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV-3s2wwC8c “Ric Flair Drip” by 21 Savage, Offset, Metro Boomin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPTlvQ1Zet0

Although the references have vocals, this request is for Instrumentals only. Please send them current-sounding Rap/Hip-Hop Instrumental Cues that are rhythmically and melodically engaging and have a modern, polished sound. Craft your Cue around a main melodic idea, while adding and subtracting layers of instrumentation to add dynamics and forward momentum. Virtual Instruments and Samples need to sound current, high quality, and not dated. Your submissions should be about 1:30 in length, give or take. Non-faded, Buttoned/Stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine). This company offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE, 50/50 deal. You’ll split any applicable sync fees 50/50. You’ll get 100% of the Master rights and Writer’s share, and the Library will get 100% of the Publishing for any placements they generate. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit for this opportunity.

Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you'd like online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT), on Thursday, May 10th, 2018. TAXI #Y180510HH

SawtoothPorter
Impressive
Impressive

Re: HELP!!! What am I missing?

Post by SawtoothPorter » Wed May 30, 2018 7:00 pm

Best advice I was given:

The refs are songs. They have lyrical matter to keep people interested.

That listing was not for an instrumental track that would be rapped/sung over. It was for a cue. From what I can gather there have to be a few changes, an arc, a couple of builds, etc. In addition, you have to guess what is needed for the supe...i.e., how many changes, when the edit points should be. I am thinking that it might be better to compose a collection of cues for this genre and submit...

Of course...someone might come behind me and redirect you...but this is where I am now.

Here is my feedback on your tracks:
Bands - until about 0:57 the track sounds like an intro. So for a 1:42 cue you have a low key intro for 0:52 seconds of it. Probably not best practice. It also does not hit as hard or have as much bottom as the refs.

Bounce - Pretty good job of capturing the track feel of both Ric Flair Drip and Lemon. However there was nothing on the top to excite me or feel like there was somewhere the track was going.

Too Fresh - The top was too loud for me. Also, still repetitive with little forward momentum.

BTW..I think your vocal tracks are dope. Just keep it up....review Hip Hop forwards....keep practicing...maybe submit for a custom critique.

Best of luck!

actuateprod

Re: HELP!!! What am I missing?

Post by actuateprod » Wed May 30, 2018 7:14 pm

SawtoothPorter wrote:Best advice I was given:

The refs are songs. They have lyrical matter to keep people interested.

That listing was not for an instrumental track that would be rapped/sung over. It was for a cue. From what I can gather there have to be a few changes, an arc, a couple of builds, etc. In addition, you have to guess what is needed for the supe...i.e., how many changes, when the edit points should be. I am thinking that it might be better to compose a collection of cues for this genre and submit...

Of course...someone might come behind me and redirect you...but this is where I am now.

Here is my feedback on your tracks:
Bands - until about 0:57 the track sounds like an intro. So for a 1:42 cue you have a low key intro for 0:52 seconds of it. Probably not best practice. It also does not hit as hard or have as much bottom as the refs.

Bounce - Pretty good job of capturing the track feel of both Ric Flair Drip and Lemon. However there was nothing on the top to excite me or feel like there was somewhere the track was going.

Too Fresh - The top was too loud for me. Also, still repetitive with little forward momentum.

BTW..I think your vocal tracks are dope. Just keep it up....review Hip Hop forwards....keep practicing...maybe submit for a custom critique.

Best of luck!

SawtoothPorter,

Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for. I was talking to someone who was listening here with me and gave me similar advice. I appreciate that feedback tremendously as I know exactly what I will do going forward! It's only the beginning! Also, thanks for the compliments on my fully produced tracks. I appreciate you taking the time to listen to them.