Mamas out there?!

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

JeanieLarkin
Active
Active

Mamas out there?!

Post by JeanieLarkin » Thu May 31, 2018 1:32 pm

Hello there,

I'm a newbie, joined in April I think - my goal was to submit once a week for various listings till I find what I'm most comfortable with. Well, I've managed 3 so far with 1 forward... So not really keeping pace!! I'm afraid I still haven't managed to sort my Soundcloud out (although I want to do that when I have more to offer) and update pic/profile. But I have kept up with Taxi TV and try to keep up with the forums, although as a newbie I haven't had the confidence to join in yet!

Anyway, to all you mamas... I have a 2 year old who is with me everyday and I am also due to give birth in 2 weeks time - so the new baby has quite rightly started to take priority over everything right now. (My husband works away every week and I only have one family member who can sometimes help out when necessary - so pretty much on my own most of the time). However, I really don't want to lose my motivation to do this and I am sure that I can still try and stick to my goals, or at least keep striving towards them through the forthcoming sleep deprivation... but it would certainly help to connect to any other mamas out there in the same position who may be finding it a bit of a struggle - even just to help encourage and spur each other on during their own Taxi journey - and who may be in need of a bit of light-hearted banter from another mother to cheer them along. Or mamas who have been there, done that and can offer their best advice as to how to keep going... And how to make the best use of / prioritise their time. I love my babies and I love music... surely there's a way to enjoy both?!!!

I look forward to hearing from any of you who are in / or who have been in the same boat! Please feel free to PM me.

Jeanie
Wales, UK.

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Mamas out there?!

Post by annayarbrough » Thu May 31, 2018 3:11 pm

Welcome, Jeanie—hope all goes smoothly while you wait to welcome your new babe!
Anna Yarbrough
Website | Spotify | SoundCloud

JeanieLarkin
Active
Active

Post by JeanieLarkin » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:15 am

Thank you Anna! I've quietly been a fan of your forum posts and work... Very inspiring!

Thanks for the well wishes too,

Jeanie

jessecarrigan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jessecarrigan » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:56 pm

JeanieLarkin wrote:Hello there,

I'm a newbie, joined in April I think - my goal was to submit once a week for various listings till I find what I'm most comfortable with. Well, I've managed 3 so far with 1 forward... So not really keeping pace!! I'm afraid I still haven't managed to sort my Soundcloud out (although I want to do that when I have more to offer) and update pic/profile. But I have kept up with Taxi TV and try to keep up with the forums, although as a newbie I haven't had the confidence to join in yet!

Anyway, to all you mamas... I have a 2 year old who is with me everyday and I am also due to give birth in 2 weeks time - so the new baby has quite rightly started to take priority over everything right now. (My husband works away every week and I only have one family member who can sometimes help out when necessary - so pretty much on my own most of the time). However, I really don't want to lose my motivation to do this and I am sure that I can still try and stick to my goals, or at least keep striving towards them through the forthcoming sleep deprivation... but it would certainly help to connect to any other mamas out there in the same position who may be finding it a bit of a struggle - even just to help encourage and spur each other on during their own Taxi journey - and who may be in need of a bit of light-hearted banter from another mother to cheer them along. Or mamas who have been there, done that and can offer their best advice as to how to keep going... And how to make the best use of / prioritise their time. I love my babies and I love music... surely there's a way to enjoy both?!!!

I look forward to hearing from any of you who are in / or who have been in the same boat! Please feel free to PM me.

Jeanie
Wales, UK.
Jeanie, my wife and I collaborate, have 2 littles, and we've been trying to figure this out for a long time. I think we're getting better at it (they're turning 7 and 5 and are still a busy bunch). I'll see if I can tag her in on here.

JeanieLarkin
Active
Active

Post by JeanieLarkin » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:43 am

Hi Jesse,

Thank you so much for responding. Any pearls of wisdom you can offer would be so much appreciated. Doesn't look like anyone else is going to respond!

Thanks again,

Jeanie

JeanieLarkin
Active
Active

Post by JeanieLarkin » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:24 pm

CTWF wrote:Hi Jeanie. All the best to you and your growing family. My wife and I have a 5 year old son, and another one on the way. With the new arrival in autumn, my time for hobbies will be reduced (to nil?) I assume. However, I have recently come to learn that it can be fun to make the kid(s) part of the hobby, e.g. recording little songs wit them etc. Also, my 5 year old does not get tired to tell me how bad my music really is: he thinks Marshmello and David Guetta, and pretty much anything else, is much better than my stuff. Tom
Hi Tom,

Thank you for your wishes. It's tough isn't it?... I've given up performing for the foreseeable as my 2 year old just wouldn't let me practice to the standard required (for opera and classical) and it became too stressful to try. I also stepped away from opera as I couldn't bear to keep travelling and leave her - as it turns out - my husband now needs to travel - so one of us has to be around!

I love being creative and have always written, and therefore thought perhaps I could make this work - and I still want to believe I can! They can be a great sounding boards for compositions can't they?! And my little one already knows how to record herself in my studio! Can't get her off the mic once she's on! So to some extent she does let me be a little creative It's just going to be hard to find those stretches of time where you just need peace and space to finish work and the elusive energy to get it done. And with a newborn about to be in the mix... it's going to get even more interesting!

All the best for your new addition this autumn... better make the most of the summer!!!

Jeanie