NOT OK (again) / TRAILER music

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

PhilRey
Impressive
Impressive

Re: NOT OK (again) / TRAILER music

Post by PhilRey » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:38 pm

I understand ;) Thank you Tom.

PhilRey
Impressive
Impressive

Post by PhilRey » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:40 pm

DesireInspires wrote:
PhilRey wrote:I should be able to find a home for this track on my own though. That's the most important I guess.
Without a doubt. Awesome song! I don't know of anyone looking for this style of music, but if something comes up, I will send you a message.
Thank you for your kindness ! ;)

PhilRey
Impressive
Impressive

Post by PhilRey » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:42 pm

Paulie wrote:Man, that is some GREAT music. Awesome composing job, I think you nailed the genre.

Here's the catch: "Please make sure any Orchestral instrumentation you use sounds very realistic and convincing."

That line has prevented me from submitting in the past because I don't have the compute horsepower to do orchestral brass properly. The brass in the lower register sounds good, its easier to sample. When the brass goes a little higher, that's when the sample-ness of them appears. You can get around it by working on the attack velocities and aftertouch/dynamics so that they breath like real players.

The guys that are successful in this genre layer multiple libraries on top of each other for brass and strings. Then you automate the volumes of each track to get them really sounding good.

Best video I ever watched on the topic of epic trailer music is from Taxi friendly composer Nick Murray. Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgT2oKurtk4

For me, as a wind instrument player, I would have liked to hear the horns more forward in the mix. The strings were sometimes a little to forward, and the percussion did jump out occasionally. Overall a little more mix tweaking could help.

But again, the music is rock solid!!!
I totally get it. i confess that I like to have the FH in my face. That's my sin, I love this sound. Childish I know...
For the sound, thanks to this post, I'll pay more attention to this (I have many different and good libraries that I would be able to blend, test etc...)

Thank you so much for your feedback, this really helps ;)