Just finished a good theory class online

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AnneHouse
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Just finished a good theory class online

Post by AnneHouse » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:58 am

I just wanted to share a free theory class that I just completed.
First of all, let me state that I don't get any type of commission for recommending this class or Coursera

The University of Edinburgh Fundamentals of Music Theory on Coursera was good and worth the effort. It is very basic at first (notes, time signatures etc) and it moves on quickly to more complex information in the second half of the class.

The second half was a bit complex because the quizzes at the end of the sections would ask for answers that required you actually go out and research beyond what the class lesson taught in order to answer correctly (imagine that LOL).

I found it to be highly useful material, having forgotten most of what I used to know about theory.

Since it was so enjoyable, I am sharing as some of you may find it to be enjoyable as well.

I've taken several Berklee classes and other non-music classes as well. Its now free to take the full class, assignments, and tests in many of the courses and, if you want, you can pay for a certificate of completion after you finish the class.

pwaara
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Just finished a good theory class online

Post by pwaara » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:45 pm

Do you have a URL for this class?

AnneHouse
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by AnneHouse » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:30 am

pwaara
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by pwaara » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:24 pm

Thanks. The description implies that the course isn't free, but I'll sign up and see how it goes. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Strike that. Just signed up and the whole course is free. You can pay to get a certificate, as noted, but all the content is there. Thanks again.