Questions for a RR newbie

From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

SKM
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Questions for a RR newbie

Post by SKM » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:08 pm

Hey everyone! So far, every time I post in the forum I get wonderful, kind Taxi members responding, so I will be taking to the forums even more often. I really appreciate it.

So I am so excited about the RR this year, but I have a few questions. If I read through the 2017 RR information correctly, I think I recall that some things cost money, is that correct? And if so, how much and how worth it for someone who is deathly broke. I am lucky enough to live in California and have a car to get me down to LA, so I do not need to travel far.

I want to get as full of an experience as I possibly can so I will save up as much as I can if you who have paid for the extra experience, say it is worth it.

How in-depth do the classes go?

Thanks, everyone, in advance!
SKM_Music
Sara K. Marsalis

Singer/Songwriter; Musician; Music "Passionier" ;) Studying recording engineering and production

www.soundcloud.com/SKM-Music
www.instagram.com/SKM_Music

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Questions for a RR newbie

Post by hummingbird » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:32 pm

Other than accommodation (if needed) and food/drink, the Rally itself is free. The mentor lunches, if you wish to attend one, are held on Friday and Saturday, do require you to purchase a ticket in advance of the event, the links to do that are usually provided 2 or 3 weeks before (I believe they were $35 last year).
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:06 am

Hi Sara, to echo what Vikki said, you don't really need to spend a huge amount other than the hotel bill if you're staying at there. I think it was $135/night last year, so it helps if you're willing to share a room with someone. The restaurant might be a little costly, but at the breakfast bar you can get enough to keep you going for $10-15, and lunch/dinner can be at Subway or Taco Bell just a very short walk away. At $35 each day, the two mentor lunches are a fairly good meal with added potential benefits, but they're optional. There are quite a few water coolers dotted around the hotel in the daytime so you can keep hydrated, although they disappear in the evenings. That's probably to encourage you to buy drinks at the bar (which can get expensive). There's also a ton of free Rockstar energy drink around if you can take the caffeine hit :). All in all, it doesn't have to cost you a fortune as long as you take it easy at the bar, but there might also be a few things on sale that you'd like (microphones, percussion instruments, books, videos, tuition, etc), so prepare to be tempted by those too. Basically, the rally is worth whatever it costs and I don't think anyone who has ever attended would disagree :).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

billhewett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by billhewett » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:38 pm

Hi Sara,

Graham and Vikki nailed it as far as total cost of the Rally goes, but I will add that while the mentor lunches are the only additional cost I think that they are one of the most valuable aspects of the Rally. Over the course of the meal you will meet five or six industry professionals, most of whom will take your card and/or CD if you think they could use your music. As someone who is not great at walking up and chatting with people I don't know, the mentor lunch was the easiest path for me to interact directly with some of these folks.

That said, don't worry if the added cost of the lunches doesn't fit in your budget... every single aspect of the Road Rally is amazing and educational, so you'll get your money's worth either way :)

-Bill