VE Pro question: How to Test a Mac/PC connection for master/slave computers?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DanWessels
Active
Active

VE Pro question: How to Test a Mac/PC connection for master/slave computers?

Post by DanWessels » Sun May 20, 2018 1:19 pm

Hi all! Is there a simple way to check if my Mac (master computer, OSX 10.13.4) is connected to my Windows 10 PC (slave computer)?

I am running Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.4.16181, but after months of tinkering have yet to see the slave computer show up in the available instances on my master computer. I feel like I'd gain a bit of confidence in the whole endeavor if I had some confirmation that the two computers were actually connected to each other.

I've assigned static IP addresses to both computers (Mac: 192.168.0.1, Win: 192.168.0.2). I've assigned the subnet mask 255.255.255.0 on both. Neither one shows up in a list on the network tabs of finder/win explorer, though.

Any help or links to articles would be appreciated! Thanks!

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: VE Pro question: How to Test a Mac/PC connection for master/slave computers?

Post by remmet » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:40 am

Dan, I thought I PM'd you yesterday or the day before with a suggestion, but now I don't see the message in my Sent box for some reason. Anyway, feel free to PM me and I can reply and try again.

Richard

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: VE Pro question: How to Test a Mac/PC connection for master/slave computers?

Post by remmet » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:54 pm

Hey Dan- I sent another message but I’m not sure you’re getting notices. Anyway, check your In box.
R

philsmith
Active
Active

Post by philsmith » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:01 am

Networking protocols are layered. You first want to check that you have at least a link layer, hardware + framework. In your Mac, open /Applications/Terminal and issue the command:

ping -c2 192.168.0.2

If you get a response, good. If the host is unreachable, it may simply be not responding to pings (ICMP). Make sure the PC responds to ICMP and try again. Another useful command is:

arp -a

If you don't see 192.168.0.2 in the list, you haven't connected to it with IP.

If you do see the PC, you've got the link layer working, next step is to check the transport layer. Issue the command:

sudo tcpdump -i[your interface] host 192.168.0.2

Issue ctrl-c to stop. Substitute the interface you're using (it's probably en0 or en1). Then attempt a master-slave communication. If you see nothing at all, the master isn't sending and that's the problem. If the master is sending and the slave isn't responding, then the slave has a problem.

I'm new here, so I don't know exactly how responses like this go, but I'll be glad to help you out, send an email to me@philsmith.com. I hope that's not against the rules.