String samples--how to make more realistic?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mikehamm123
Impressive
Impressive

String samples--how to make more realistic?

Post by mikehamm123 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:59 am

I currently use two string libraries:

Cinematic Strings 2.0
Concert Strings Legacy

I know they aren't top shelf but should be adequate.

A few of the patches sound awesome but for the generic 'string section' legato stuff its not cutting it. Sounds great when I play a solo line or when recording, but on playback they sound fake and often scratchy.

Example: https://soundcloud.com/user-819745024/triumphant

I just got this feedback from a return--the screener said:

"With synth strings, try to stagger your attacks and adding a ghost layer balanced with the original to create a more realistic and humanized sounding string ensemble."

I have been staggering attacks. Is the 'ghost layer' a shadow unison line?

On my current piece, I will experiment with EQing down the high ends and mixing/matching different string samples.

Any other suggestions?
Mike

===========

https://mikehammmusic.com

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: String samples--how to make more realistic?

Post by Len911 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:44 pm

Hy Mike!
but for the generic 'string section' legato stuff its not cutting it.
That's a negative of using multisamples. They work fine for things like drums or something with a quick attack and quick sustain, like pizzicato.
I would suggest to try layering in audio loops. The loops would allow you to work with phrases. The difficult thing with loops is finding the right ones, you have to search and audition. Most are a one trick pony. Many times they also track instruments separately, so if you only want violins, you don't need to use the cello track... You can also edit the loops. I suppose you could view them as articulations. I think using them in conjunction with your multisampled instruments would give you more realism and versatility.
here is a sample (Real Strings/Organic loops) has a selection of different loop packages that give you an idea of what I'm saying.
https://www.producerloops.com/Organic-L ... 0&f[]=g473
https://www.loopmasters.com/search?utf8 ... al+strings
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:53 am

I think there are several issues with this track.

First that comes to mind is that the strings sounds much too dry considering how big the sections are. The ideomatic sound of a huge orchestra is in an auditorium or concert hall, with autentic sounding reverberation. This is an instant giveaway within the first few seconds of the track. As a supervisor, I would have stopped listening after about 5 sec, as the mix sounds in-your-face synth'y.

I also think that the strings sounds too big for for the arrangement. It would sound a lot better if you used a chamber library or combined some solo strings into a section, and then change the size of the strings as the track evolves into a bigger soundscape.

Third, you put a harmonica sounding pad next to the string section, and following the gestalt laws in psychology, that would make listeners compare the two and thus consider if the strings sounds like a synth harmonica. Bad idea, because even though string libraries have come a long way, they are nowhere near an authentic orchestra-in-the-room sound, so as mock-uppers we still need to pull all the stops we can to hide that we are using strings-in-abox.

Having the strings play pad-like in the first 50sec is therefore also very risky. This is not a string library thing, but an composing/ arrangement thing. Here you could have written for different articulations, forcing variety into the piece. Not using different articulations is a dead giveaway of fake strings, which almost never will work. There is only legato in this piece.

So:
- rewrite with different articulations
- use both small and bigger string sections, where neccesary and appropriate
- use autentic sounding reverb
- be careful when choosing patches to accompany the strings, considering the laws of human perception

justmy2c
Ceo of my own life

mikehamm123
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mikehamm123 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:50 am

Len911 wrote:I would suggest to try layering in audio loops. The loops would allow you to work with phrases
Thanks Len. I'll look at these. I've used loops before for drone stuff but not for orchestral stuff.
Mike

===========

mikehamm123
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mikehamm123 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:06 am

Kolstad wrote:I think there are several issues with this track.

First that comes to mind is that the strings sounds much too dry considering how big the sections are. The ideomatic sound of a huge orchestra is in an auditorium or concert hall, with autentic sounding reverberation. This is an instant giveaway within the first few seconds of the track. As a supervisor, I would have stopped listening after about 5 sec, as the mix sounds in-your-face synth'y.

I also think that the strings sounds too big for for the arrangement. It would sound a lot better if you used a chamber library or combined some solo strings into a section, and then change the size of the strings as the track evolves into a bigger soundscape.

Third, you put a harmonica sounding pad next to the string section, and following the gestalt laws in psychology, that would make listeners compare the two and thus consider if the strings sounds like a synth harmonica. Bad idea, because even though string libraries have come a long way, they are nowhere near an authentic orchestra-in-the-room sound, so as mock-uppers we still need to pull all the stops we can to hide that we are using strings-in-abox.

Having the strings play pad-like in the first 50sec is therefore also very risky. This is not a string library thing, but an composing/ arrangement thing. Here you could have written for different articulations, forcing variety into the piece. Not using different articulations is a dead giveaway of fake strings, which almost never will work. There is only legato in this piece.

So:
- rewrite with different articulations
- use both small and bigger string sections, where neccesary and appropriate
- use autentic sounding reverb
- be careful when choosing patches to accompany the strings, considering the laws of human perception

justmy2c
Kolstad, thank you for your time. This is all great information.

Since I wrote the posted piece, I've been using Logic Space Designer to add ambience and have isolated some of the better string patches among my libraries.

I'll layer some 'solo' patches together instead of going for the 'string sections' right away and look into the 'half section' options i have for string sections.

Articulations are definitely my weak spot and technically I'm having trouble with these.

When I first started this I was hoping to spend more time writing and less time wrangling the technical aspects of sound patches/mixing. Live and learn...

At any rate thanks for the feedback, this is just what I needed.
Mike

===========