Disappointed, but learning ... will get there.

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Wizofozland
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Disappointed, but learning ... will get there.

Post by Wizofozland » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:37 pm

I wrote this tune specifically for this listing, which is actually the first time I have done it like that, rather than putting existing tunes in. I found the process really enjoyable, and learned heaps from it. I had high hopes for the tune (don't we all :D ) and was a little deflated when the listing got returned.

After reading the review, and listening to the guide track and my song, I get what the reviewer said (#338) and will learn from it.

Here is the listing

Y180515FR

ORIGINAL, FOLK/ROCK SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed for an (up-to) $550, Non-Exclusive, Direct-to-Music Supervisor placement in an Independent Feature Film. The Supervisor is looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Songs (Contemporary or Vintage recordings can both work) that would be in the stylistic ballpark of the following reference: WARNING: The following reference has some graphic and explicit lyrics. Listener discretion is advised. “Essence” by Lucinda Williams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xMhDC_RcQ4 Note: This Music Supervisor is currently looking for a Song that would work well in place of “Essence.” They do NOT want to hear copies or clones of that song. They are looking for something that has a similar “vibe,” or “spirit.” Give them well crafted, Americana-inspired Folk/Rock Songs with authentic sounding instrumentation and a compelling vocal performance. Be sure your songs have engaging melodies, solid musicianship, and a chorus that truly shines. Lyric themes can vary (the song will likely be used as Background Source music coming from a car radio or jukebox, etc.), however, emotionally positive lyrics will probably do better than sad, moody, or depressing topics. Avoiding references to specific names, dates, times, brands, and profanity will probably work best for this pitch. Do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for tempo, texture, and tone. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine). The estimated fee is $550, depending on the ultimate placement. This is a Non-Exclusive, Direct-to-Music-Supervisor placement, so you’ll keep 100% ownership of your Master and Composition rights, plus you’ll also get 100% of the sync fee and any applicable performance royalties. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. Time permitting; the Music Supervisor herself might be able to screen submissions for this request. No promises. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT), on Tuesday, May 15th, 2018. TAXI #Y180515FR

Here is the review

Hi Peter,
If this song had more rhythm (instruments) that really "grabbed" the listener the way that Lucinda's song referenced here, it could have been a viable option to replace that song.
Many thanks for submitting.

and here is my tune

https://www.dropbox.com/s/08q1b5wo52ve8 ... u.mp3?dl=0

I am finding the experience of being in Taxi and submitting, worthwhile and its certainly made things interesting.. rather than just following your muse.

Cheers

Wiz

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Disappointed, but learning ... will get there.

Post by johnnyrowing » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:19 am

Hello Wiz,
I am curious - based upon the feedback - you state, "After reading the review, and listening to the guide track and my song, I get what the reviewer said (#338) and will learn from it."

Can you describe what you would change about the song a bit?

Also, is this you singing? I really like the gravel in the singer's voice.

Wizofozland
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Wizofozland » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:52 pm

johnnyrowing wrote:Hello Wiz,
I am curious - based upon the feedback - you state, "After reading the review, and listening to the guide track and my song, I get what the reviewer said (#338) and will learn from it."

Can you describe what you would change about the song a bit?

Also, is this you singing? I really like the gravel in the singer's voice.

I would (will) add more guitar parts, fills to give the song a lift and diversity between sections...basically more guitar ear candy

Yes that is me singing..I sing and play everything on my songs.

Thanks

Wiz

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johnnyrowing » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:23 am

I meant to thank you for the answer. I can see what you are saying about ear candy. Your track seemed very close. Again, really love your voice too.