First airplay, first BMI royalty check!

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jazzstan
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

First airplay, first BMI royalty check!

Post by jazzstan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:56 am

Ok, so it only took about 20 years. but I got my first royalty payment from BMI today - for a tension track, "Digital Desert," that was used for a full minute, in the Oxygen channel's "The Disappearance Of Natalee Holloway." My relationship with the library that made the placement came about as the result of two other earlier Taxi forwards, which were signed to the library in 2014. The payment is modest sum to be sure, but it is a symbolic milestone on a long road. It seems that persistence pays off --- eventually, and quarterly.

I've stayed with Taxi for this long because: (a) the education: I never want to stop learning. (b) the contacts: I have a over a 130 tracks of music in other libraries, ALL of them as a result of either Taxi forwards or via contacts and friendships that grew out of the Taxi Rally (I think I've been to all of 'em). (c) I met ML 22 years ago, and found him sincere and legit, (d) and I've kept up my membership all this time 'cuz I wanted Taxi to stay in business for when I DID eventually find my niche and got my writing chops together.

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Re: First airplay, first BMI royalty check!

Post by johnnyrowing » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:00 am

This is huge! It is great to hear of you receiving some tangible results. For my part, the persistence that you have demonstrated - 20 years - is the most inspiring thing about this post.

Congratulations!

jazzstan
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jazzstan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:17 am

Johnny... thanks! I don't want anyone to feel discouraged by the length of time involved --- I am an entrepreneur and started and still operate multiple businesses this whole time, so the amount of time that I have for music has been limited. So the general wisdom of the "five year plan" that is often discussed on this Forum and at the Rally - is probably about right ... it just took me longer, as I had to spread those five years over a longer period of time.

And in addition to the kudos to Taxi, I would be remiss to leave out my gratitude for all the encouragement and help from the many deep friendships that have evolved out of the Rally.

VicMartinez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by VicMartinez » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:32 pm

Congrats Stan!

-Vic
Vic