Want your lyics reviewed? Post 'em up!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Trying to Build My Lyric Writing Craft

Post by Razor7Music » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:37 pm

Hi Group--

I've been trying to apply what I'm learning from songwriting books, classes at Road Rallies, and online tutorials. I've been writing for many years, but only recently really started trying to use those tips that the pros recommend, and I have to say, I finally feel like I'm getting closer to where I'd like my lyrics to be.

The below lyrics are from one of my latest productions that I got a lot of positive feedback for--and I just wanted to share it with the group.

I hope you like them...

Above It All
© 2017 Stephen Davis

There's a time in your life when the fights you've won were the ones never started, your fist never swung. You made your way above it all.

Feel that heat, that’s a flame right behind that door. In the street, wolves in woolen declaring their war. It’s time to soar, above them all.

We'll march to roaring cheers, “You saved tomorrow!” A brighter world for all some day.
(A brighter world for all)

Well alright this time is yours. Stand and fight or let it go. Take a step above it all.

Can’t ignore there’s a problem and just go home. We'll wake up too late when we’re all overthrown. They set themselves above us all.

Stand up as we raise our banner. Heads up as we fly…

Look below
Don't get thrown
See their leaders disguised as simple progress
Watch them spit in our eyes, those guys could care less
Keep the goal on home
You're not alone

We've waited all these years and nothing changes. What in the world was going wrong?
(what in the world is going...)

Reach inside and pull your hero out, c’mon you got this. To change the world it takes the strong…
(To change the world it takes us)

Well alright this time is yours. Stand and fight or let it go. Take a step above it all.

Well alright this time is yours. Stand and fight or let it go. One more step above it all.

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Trying to Build My Lyric Writing Craft

Post by johnnyrowing » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:22 am

So much great stuff in this! I really love the heat behind the door line. So, unusual . . . and powerful . . . and loaded with "hidden danger".

Good stuff!

I am curious . . . would you be willing to share a few of the tips from the pros that you used in writing these lyrics?

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:20 am

johnnyrowing wrote:So much great stuff in this! I really love the heat behind the door line. So, unusual . . . and powerful . . . and loaded with "hidden danger".

Good stuff!

I am curious . . . would you be willing to share a few of the tips from the pros that you used in writing these lyrics?
Hey Johnny--

Thanks for the positive feedback! I'm glad you liked it!

I'm not sure I can put my finger on all the tips that I've gained from the pros when writing these lyrics, but there are some that stand out to me. A few that stand out are, first-- write lyrics in normal conversation style. Don't twist your words around to make them fit the meter of the song or to make them rhyme. Make sure you're writing lyrics the way people normally speak--regardless of what you're saying.

Another point is imagery. I'm still working on improving my use of imagery, just like I'm still working on improving everything else, but I paid close attention to imagery in this one. One of them was more like trying to invoke a perception of flying and looking below yourself. Not just physically flying, but actually trying to put things in perspective. This is of course the start of the bridge where I wrote, "Heads up as we fly..." and then, "look below..."

The other thing I want to share is doing rewrites. Keep rewriting versions of your lyrics until you feel like you can't improve them anymore. Sometimes I find that in one revision, the part I change is such an improvement to the overall song, that I just raised the bar for the other lyric parts and must improve them as well. Sometimes I may change a part of the story just because the change in lyrics improves the story. It keeps going that way until I feel that all the parts of the lyrics are as good as I can get them.

I hope that gives you some ideas. I want to recommend a couple books that helped me. Shortcuts to Hit Songwriting by Robin Frederick and 6 Steps to Songwriting Success by Jason Blume.

Good luck to you!
Thanks,

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johnnyrowing » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:28 pm

Thanks Stephen,
Nice detailed response. It is good to hear your process. Some good stuff for me to chew on in your reply.

Shalee
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Shalee » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:08 pm

These are great lyrics! I'm a math nerd, and structure nerd, and this hits all the spots beautifully. Love the 11,12 structure in your verses.
As a vocalist as well, I can hear melodies within the rhythm of your lyrics, which is a big positive, as its feels more natural to create a melody with lyrics that have that solid structure. And the imagery works great to evoke emotion from the vocalist.
great job!

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:33 pm

Wow! Thank you so much! I really needed to hear that! I never really thought of it mathematically, but it's encouraging to know I hit that mark as well! :D
Thanks,

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:37 am

Hi Stephen
Good lyrics. :D My first reaction has to do with how to make this more marketable for Film/TV. There is definitely a need for less specific, anthemic non-relationship songs, e.g. "We Will Rock You", etc.

So... If it were MY song, I'd take the "Above It All" theme, make it less specific about the world, our leaders, etc. Maybe, if possible, make it "Rise Above It All" or "We Will Rise Above It All". Think.... What would they play at a sports arena during a game? :D

There are 2 aspects to our lyric writing. One is the imagery, show us don't tell us, etc. The other is marketability.

Just my 2.5 cents! ;)

Warmest,
:D Casey

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:54 pm

Casey H wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:37 am
Hi Stephen
Good lyrics. :D My first reaction has to do with how to make this more marketable for Film/TV. There is definitely a need for less specific, anthemic non-relationship songs, e.g. "We Will Rock You", etc.

So... If it were MY song, I'd take the "Above It All" theme, make it less specific about the world, our leaders, etc. Maybe, if possible, make it "Rise Above It All" or "We Will Rise Above It All". Think.... What would they play at a sports arena during a game? :D

There are 2 aspects to our lyric writing. One is the imagery, show us don't tell us, etc. The other is marketability.

Just my 2.5 cents! ;)

Warmest,
:D Casey
Thanks, Casey!
Thanks,