Cakewalk "Sonar" DAW is now Free!

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Kenn

Cakewalk "Sonar" DAW is now Free!

Post by Kenn » Mon May 21, 2018 6:36 pm

Hi folks!

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I wanted to let all TAXI Windows users know that the DAW software formerly known as Sonar Platinum is now available for FREE!

Gibson sold the Cakewalk software rights to a social music platform called BandLab. BandLab is now offering a free version of Sonar Platinum which they call "Cakewalk by Bandlab" (CbB). This is not a trial or limited version of the software - this is a full-fledged DAW. CbB provides all the functionality of Sonar Platinum, minus the 3rd-party plugins BandLab didn't acquire the rights for.

For more information and to download the installer (called BandLab Assistant) visit the following link: https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

For help with installing or using the software, visit the very helpful community of users at the Cakewalk forums: http://forum.cakewalk.com/SONAR-f70.aspx

I hope this helps you create some forward-worthy music!
Kenn DePotter
Music Lover / Composer / Musician / Audio Engineer

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Cakewalk "Sonar" DAW is now Free!

Post by Razor7Music » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:26 am

Hey Kenn

Thanks for the post. I've been using Cakewalk as my DAW for decades and just about had a heart attack when it was first announced that Gibson was bailing on it. Then, I was revived :lol: to hear Bandlab had purchased it.

What some may not know is that product was almost $500 US before it was free. It's a high-end professional class DAW for the PC, and don't let the free price tag throw you off. Bandlab actually hired some of the long time engineers from Gibson to continue to develop the product.

I've been using it since it became free, and it's still awesome. Since I had Sonar previously, I didn't lose any of my plug-ins, so it's a win win. I haven't used the new collaboration features that Bandlab added to the venture, but I may someday. It's good to know they're there.

Good stuff!
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Cakewalk "Sonar" DAW is now Free!

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:24 pm