It's been awhile... but I'm still "here"!

Yep. Drop your super cool ego and beg for fans!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AndyKotz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

It's been awhile... but I'm still "here"!

Post by AndyKotz » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:50 am

Hi everyone! Some of you may remember me but I'm sure most of you don't know me. It's been years (so it feels) since I last visited the Taxi Forum but a lot has happened for me with regard to success and "placements".

Since I ventured out on my own, I've managed to secure deals with 43 different production companies worldwide. While I have narrowed that number down to 14, I have music being represented by publishers in the United States, Canada, England, Australia, Sweden, Germany, Italy and Spain (sounds like a FIFA World Cup final 8 group!!).

My credits can be viewed here: IMDb
...and my website can be seen here: AKMusic Productions

That wasn't exactly meant to brag about my accomplishments :mrgreen: but more so to provide encouragement to those who may feel they aren't "succeeding" with their Taxi membership.
I'm here to vouch for Taxi because the information learned and the Taxi Rally attended, provided me with the necessary tools I needed to create my own opportunities.

While I never had a single "deal" through any of the 88 Taxi forwards I had gotten, determined as I was, I knew deep down inside... I had the stuff to rise above it ("it" being the Taxi screening process).

I can help you advance yourself by providing you a great "broadcast quality" production track/song. Please visit my website (links above and below) to view my rates for music production services.

Thank you and success to us all!!! - Andy
"After silence... that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible... is music" -- Aldous Huxley

AKMusic Productions
ImageImage

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Re: It's been awhile... but I'm still "here"!

Post by Razor7Music » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:02 pm

Hey Andy--

Congrats on your success. It sounds like you found your niche.

Do you mind sharing why you didn't continue with Taxi while you pursued other opportunities, so you gave yourself as many options as possible?

Thanks!
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

AndyKotz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by AndyKotz » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:11 pm

Hi Stephen...

To answer your question... I was frustrated with all the rejections or rather, no deals that came from all the forwards. I then did the math and had realized I had spent thousands of dollars on 4+ years worth of membership and submissions.
Money that at that point, I thought I could have invested in the sounds I "needed to upgrade" according to the Taxi screeners that kept rejecting my work!
Sort of a Catch-22. Do I keep pouring money into the Taxi vacuum or do I venture out and upgrade my studio?

I chose the latter because around the same time I began finding my own deals through research and relentless (RELENTLESS) legwork. I figured that out at the Rally having talked to some library representatives that were there. They confided in me, telling me my material was definitely good enough and I had both the composing skills AND production skills required to make it. THAT alone was "the spark that lit the fire"!

As of last week... ASCAP shows I have 700+ tracks/cue sheets that have been licensed and the royalties paying as well... the downside to all of this (and the industry) is the fact that the cable networks (the bulk of my placements) don't pay shit for royalties but that will soon change with the new bill/legislature being passed. I just hope I'm still alive to retire off my music!!

I hope that helped answer your question... Take care! - Andy
"After silence... that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible... is music" -- Aldous Huxley

AKMusic Productions
ImageImage

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:05 pm

Hey Andy--

Thanks for the details. I suppose if Taxi was the only way to go, every successful songwriter would be getting their placements there and only there.

I do know many Taxi members that have been really successful getting placements through Taxi, so it does work. I'm guessing you got input from some of the forum members here on how you could get more placements, and maybe even had some of your tracks listened to so you could get some feedback on what the screeners may have been looking for? I read many posts from members who just need to 'dial-in' a few things here and there before it starts to pop for them.

The input I've gotten from forum members and the Road Rally's are indispensable. The quality of my lyrics and tracks have improved immensely since joining. The Rally's and the submission feedback I get is worth the price of membership on its own--IMO.

One last thing, I wasn't sure if you saw that one member posted that they saw a line on their statement for a track they had forwarded 10 years prior! Certainly the exception, but you never know. You might start seeing payments for forwards you got from Taxi--but much later. first-placement-of-a-track-signed-10-ye ... 40949.html

Glad things are going so well for you!

Cheers
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon