The State of Music Nowadays

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: The State of Music Nowadays

Post by Len911 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:42 pm

The paradigm might have changed, mostly probably due to technology, but I doubt if the essence has much. In one way there is much more opportunity. It probably depends a lot on how you view it. Where else can a hobby, part time musician compete on the same stage as a lifelong, musician with a colorful resume? How many hit songs were written in the past where the songwriter never received any royalties? How many old people are wondering where they could have went if they would've had the technology today back then? It's never been as far as I know been a controllable or predictive business.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:53 am

I feel the OP.

Most of the stuff I make these days is to serve the needs of the clients. It isn’t music that I am necessarily a fan of. It is something that needs to get made to serve a purpose.

Many people making modern music are interested in making songs for the radio and for the mainstream music industry. But companies want those same styles for TV shows and adverts. That is where we fit in to provide music.

I wouldn’t throw in the towel if I were the OP. Just recognize it as a job, whip up the product quickly with quality, and serve it to the people in need of it.

Afterwards, sit back and listen to what you truly enjoy. I myself have been checking out a lot of older jazz pieces, specifically bossa nova music. It is such intricate and moving work to me, and I am glad I can just listen to that music without trying to compete.

keithl
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by keithl » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:12 pm

Why can't you write both types of music?

Original music that feeds what your soul needs.

And then write music geared towards TV.

But it sounds like you have your musical outlet with playing live music 4-5 times a week.

Every once in a while, when I feel the need to write music for me, I release an original cd. Deliberately not focusing on getting to the chorus quick or making sure the lyrics are universal, along with the other things that are needed when writing for tv. I just write what I want to write...including long guitar solos :)

The type of music on tv is not anything TAXI is dictating. They connect the writers to the publishers/supervisors. And tv shows need music that sounds like is not the music you want to write.

Me personally, I cannot think of where I would be without Taxi's help. But if writing music that fits for tv doesn't sit well with you, then maybe just try to find another outlet (or a show that features live New Orleans music!)

SteveBaruah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by SteveBaruah » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:32 pm

"Paint houses by day, and portraits by night"

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:23 am

You can work on other peoples problems, or you can work on your own.

The listings are the problems clients have, and need to get solved. That is songwriter/ composer/producer work.
You can also be an artist, and work on getting your own music out there. Get fans, gigs, and get signed.
You can also teach music, and educate new generations in what is “good” ect.

Its just different paths to use your music skills. YOU are in charge of what to choose.

If you think music is in poor shape, work on that issue. But I would scale it down a bit beforehand, so it is doable. Go for it!

The world really needs people who will work on problems they are competent to define.
Ceo of my own life

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:49 am

Kolstad wrote:You can work on other peoples problems, or you can work on your own.

The listings are the problems clients have, and need to get solved. That is songwriter/ composer/producer work.
You can also be an artist, and work on getting your own music out there. Get fans, gigs, and get signed.
You can also teach music, and educate new generations in what is “good” ect.

Its just different paths to use your music skills. YOU are in charge of what to choose.
I find this inspiring, nicely said!
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper