Returned for the right reason- but I'd like comments please

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bakerstreet
Active
Active

Returned for the right reason- but I'd like comments please

Post by bakerstreet » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:32 pm

This track, I had worked on for 3 days including mixing and master etc. Unfortunately, when I submitted it, I didn't notice it was submitted to the wrong listing. unsurprisingly, it got returned.

the track was for a listing asking for instrumental cue 2 minutes aprox for a TV show for physical contest/competition. It got submitted by mistake to a Good vocal RnB - which it definatley isn't.

I'd like any members, particularly anyone who has had success in the instrumental / orchestral genere, to review my track please and comment.

Thank you Track is here https://soundcloud.com/paul-howes-49391 ... pm/s-pQqKn
Last edited by bakerstreet on Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Howes (aka Reg) - Don't ask, unless we are at the bar.

"The greatest art in the world is the art of story telling" - Cecil B DeMille

I hope you music tells a story.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: Returned for the right reason- but I'd like comments please

Post by andygabrys » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:11 pm

I would say that there are some rhythmic issues in the piece.

The intro section grooves. Then when you go double time it looses some rhythmic cohesion. Some of the string sounds in particular have a slow attack and that makes them sound late.

Some of the strings sound very dry and pop out of the mix as well. Try to hear that from the perspective of an audience member in a symphony hall. Lifelike?

If you are asking for feedback its a good idea to paste the ENTIRE listing into your post. A lot of tracks miss the mark because of details in the listing text, missed keywords, or vibes that can be easily heard in the reference tracks.

Without those details its hard to compare apples to apples. Lots of good music out there. Not all great music works for every listing though.

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:55 pm

Hey Bakerstreet I agree with Andy Intro tight but the triplets tend to feel muddy I like the melody

Ron :)
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

bakerstreet
Active
Active

Post by bakerstreet » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:17 am

Hey guys, thanks you for the feedback. I wasn't expecting answers so quickly.

I understand the comments and have re-visited the mix to improve as you both suggested, however I'm now stuck between spending another hour or two to make these changes, or just moving on to the next project.

As the listing deadline was a few weeks ago, and was quite specific, I'm not sure that I should spend much more time on this. Don't get me wrong, I will spend the tme because I'm a perfectionist, but I probably shouldn't.

I can't post the exect listing as it is no longer there. In future, I will save the taxi listing in case I need to refer to it after deadline. Another lesson learned.

The request was for a 2 minute aprox instumental, orchestral, authentice sounding, not obviously midi. It was mean to be a tension building, cue for a physiscal contest, building as it went.

I think I got 3 acts in there and a nice button ending. I'm glad you found the melody OK. I have a freind in the Kensington & Chelsea Orchestra, who said he felt the two low chello notes were a little too heavey. He didn't think a chelloist would play those notes like that. He loved the trumpets.

Andy - your comment about the timing on the violins, it was my intesion that they sound a little late, to make them feel like a struggle. (Physical contest) I may have overdone it. I will play around with that. Thanks.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:06 am

If you go into your submission history in your taxi profile and click on any return or forward on the listing number you will get a pop up window that will give the listing text in entirety.

I understand what you were sayin about tension with the rhythm. Sometimes that works. On the other hand - these days almost anything orchestral is 99% virtual and if a screener hears late attacks on strings they might either think:

A) hmmmm. Strings are late. Why didn’t the composer just move them ahead in time so they hit on the beat, or choose a different library?. Knowing that the attacks of some libraries are slower and maybe not the best choice for fast passages or aggressive spiccato figures.

Or possibly

B) oh yeah that creates tension.

bakerstreet
Active
Active

Post by bakerstreet » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:34 pm

Thanks Andy, I totally get it. You make an excellent point.

Re listing history - good to know but because I submitted to the wrong listing, only the wrong listing info is in my history.

Horacemix
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Horacemix » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:22 am

bakerstreet wrote:Hey guys, thanks you for the feedback. I wasn't expecting answers so quickly.

I understand the comments and have re-visited the mix to improve as you both suggested, however I'm now stuck between spending another hour or two to make these changes, or just moving on to the next project.

As the listing deadline was a few weeks ago, and was quite specific, I'm not sure that I should spend much more time on this. Don't get me wrong, I will spend the tme because I'm a perfectionist, but I probably shouldn't.

I can't post the exect listing as it is no longer there. In future, I will save the taxi listing in case I need to refer to it after deadline. Another lesson learned.

The request was for a 2 minute aprox instumental, orchestral, authentice sounding, not obviously midi. It was mean to be a tension building, cue for a physiscal contest, building as it went.

I think I got 3 acts in there and a nice button ending. I'm glad you found the melody OK. I have a freind in the Kensington & Chelsea Orchestra, who said he felt the two low chello notes were a little too heavey. He didn't think a chelloist would play those notes like that. He loved the trumpets.

Andy - your comment about the timing on the violins, it was my intesion that they sound a little late, to make them feel like a struggle. (Physical contest) I may have overdone it. I will play around with that. Thanks.
Hi: I wish I was able to compare with the references. Anyway I think it's a very decent piece, although I agree with other comments about the rhythmic issues. I vote for ALWAYS correct the work, no matter if the listing passed away. Because first, one never knows when another listing with same style will appear, but also because one will have a useful work in the archive. In my opinion, you should choose one of the rhythmic patterns and use it though the entire track. Could be interesting if you keep the intro rhythm and make a second version with the second rhythm changing the intro. Also, after the intro a string plays two notes, but sounded to synthetic and repetitive. I'd choose other articulations or even another soundbank.

About correcting ALWAYS, of course, it's something to do when some free time is available. ;)

Regards!
Observation is the raw material for creation...
https://soundcloud.com/horacemix