Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

VicMartinez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

2018 Rally Preparation Tips

Post by VicMartinez » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:40 pm

Whats up everybody!

My cowriter and I will be attending our first Road Rally this year. I was wondering if anyone had any tips in regards to logistics (travel preparations to and from Rally), Lodging recommendations, tips for getting the most out of the Rally in terms of prioritizing classes, what kind of materials I should bring with me, etc...

Any suggestions are welcome.

See you guys soon!

-Vic
Vic

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: 2018 Rally Preparation Tips

Post by hummingbird » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:13 am

Hi! You might have a look at this thread, some good suggestions there!
michael-needs-road-rally-tips-asap-for- ... 40834.html
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:35 am

Hi
Accommodations-wise, definitely stay at the Westin, where the rally is being held. Taxi gets us a discounted rate (approx. $150-ish after taxes) and it's a great hotel, safe & clean, and you'll have much easier access to the action both during and after rally activities. The lobby and bar area are full of rally-goers and the 'hang" is awesome in addition to the daytime classes & panels.

In addition to the link Vikki provided, here is an one I updated in 2016: topic72927.html

Looking forward to meeting you!
:D Casey

TheRealPatrickAdams
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by TheRealPatrickAdams » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Definitely stay at the Westin. We went to our first one last year and never left the hotel! So much to do and plenty of people to meet. You will definitely meet people. I'm trying to decide if its worth bringing a guitar for open mics. Would like to sing and play at them. There are folks doing songwriting sessions and it helps to have a guitar.

Buy airline 6 to 8 weeks prior I've heard is the best time for good deals. We stayed til Monday afternoon so no rush on Sunday night.

Restaurant in the hotel is excellent. Like I said, we never left the hotel. Not cheap but not expensive either. There's a bar I the restaurant as well as the lobby area.

Split your room with someone makes room cheaper. Alot of people post here in the forums looking for a "roommate".

You'll never hit all the classes and presentations that you want, so use your best judgment on that. Our planned classes changed a few times during the weekend but we still had awesome classes. I don't feel we got cheated by not making the ones we originally had planned to make.

If you've never been been, prepare for it to be life-changing! No kidding there! I think about this years almost every day! It's that important to me.

I can't wait!
Patrick Adams
Singer/ songwriter in the country tradition. Storyteller and musician working to connect the human race through love and song.
Email: padams_77@yahoo.com
Email: twangquest@gmail.com
Twitter: @PatrickAdams307
www.taxi.com/members/PatrickAdams307
Instagram:@patrickadams307

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:50 pm

For less expensive meals, we eat at Denny's (short walk) or Subway (practically next door). I'm hoping that Subway will still be there as I know many Subways are closing.

There is free coffee in your room. For cheap breakfast, pick up a muffin or bagel downstairs and have the free coffee from your room!

Also, there are gas station convenience stores a short walk away. I usually stock up on snack cracker-packs, protein bars, sodas, etc. The hotel gift shop has these items but much more expensive.

Most important. Take any class being taught by Casey Hurowitz! :P :D (Kidding!)

ScreamieBirds
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by ScreamieBirds » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:29 am

This will be my first Road Rally. What about Mentor lunches? Recommended? When do they open up? Haven’t seen any details yet.

Thanks,
Kathy
Screamie Birds Studios
http://www.screamiebirds.com

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:40 am

ScreamieBirds wrote:This will be my first Road Rally. What about Mentor lunches? Recommended? When do they open up? Haven’t seen any details yet.

Thanks,
Kathy
Yes! Recommended (at least one, two is OK also), especially if this is your first rally. You have to eat lunch anyway so you may as well make it productive! Hint: Get on line early and try to get a seat as close to the mentor (the seat is labeled) as possible. The room is VERY noisy and you want to be able to hear. Also, tables near the walls are better as far as noise than those in the center.

Taxi will announce when mentor lunch tickets go on sale. That hasn't happened yet but it should be hard to miss.

Best
:D Casey

ScreamieBirds
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by ScreamieBirds » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:31 am

Cool! Thank you, Casey.
Screamie Birds Studios
http://www.screamiebirds.com

SKM
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SKM » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:17 am

Casey H wrote:For less expensive meals, we eat at Denny's (short walk) or Subway (practically next door). I'm hoping that Subway will still be there as I know many Subways are closing.

There is free coffee in your room. For cheap breakfast, pick up a muffin or bagel downstairs and have the free coffee from your room!

Also, there are gas station convenience stores a short walk away. I usually stock up on snack cracker-packs, protein bars, sodas, etc. The hotel gift shop has these items but much more expensive.

Most important. Take any class being taught by Casey Hurowitz! :P :D (Kidding!)
LOL, Casey! Can't wait!
SKM_Music
Sara K. Marsalis

Singer/Songwriter; Musician; Music "Passionier" ;) Studying recording engineering and production

www.soundcloud.com/SKM-Music
www.instagram.com/SKM_Music

magicjuani
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by magicjuani » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:34 am

Thank you all of you, special kudos to Casey! ;)

Great tips, valuable and practical info for a foreigner, I once visited L.A a few years ago, I can't wait to go back next fall...hopefully for the RALLY and more!

Denny's or Subway is all fine with me! haha :mrgreen: