Introducing myself and asking some newbie questions!

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Horacemix
Impressive
Impressive

Introducing myself and asking some newbie questions!

Post by Horacemix » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:15 am

Hello Everybody:
My name is Horace, I'm a new Taxi member.
I'm still adapting myself to this new way of music production. I used to be the kind of producer who was hired by some customer, songwriters, video game developers, you name it.
Now I find difficult to get that kind of jobs by request, so the hard part is composing by my own instead of having someone asking me specific things.
TAXI listings are some sort of "requirement" by the "unknown" costumer, but the difference is that there's no chance to make questions for specific doubts.
For example, some listings asking for Instrumentals (not instrumental cues) contains references with vocals. My doubt is: does the client expect to get instrumentals that captures the overall spirit in the references, but with no melody lines defined as a vocal replacement? Instrumental music has a wide of ways to be made, and having one or more soloist instruments "singing" a melody is very common, but, I'm not sure if that's what costumers are expecting...

Should be nice if someone that already have placements in this area, not only to reply the instrumental thing, but also another question I have.

Two of my submissions has been forwarded. But I haven't any news and I don't know what's next. How will I know if Library like it or not?

Thank you everybody for reading and Thanks in advance for your comments!

Regards!
Horace
Observation is the raw material for creation...
https://soundcloud.com/horacemix

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Introducing myself and asking some newbie questions!

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:13 am

Hi Horace

Yes you had it right when you said about capturing the spirit of the reference tracks, there's no need to have a solo instrument directly in place of the vocal melody. But you also don't want it to sound too much like a bed track so a sprinkling here and there will often do the trick.

Congratulations on the forwarded tracks. There is no guessing what may happen to them afterwards. You may never hear back or you may get contacted anything from a week to 5yrs from now.

Just keep writing and submitting and if you are achieving a good rate of forwarded material eventually a Library be in touch.

Mark

Horacemix
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Horacemix » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:54 am

Hello Mark!

Thank you for your words!
Of course, my doubt was only when the listings includes references with vocals.

About forwarded tracks I understand that once the track is sent to a Library, TAXI finished its job. Whatever happens after that is a matter of the Library directly with the composer!? I guess so.
Just in case you are curious about the tracks I got forwarded, I've opened a new topic: 2-tracks-forwarded-ambient-and-mysterio ... 41081.html

Thank you once again!

Horace

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:45 pm

Hey Horace! Welcome!
Anna Yarbrough
Website | Spotify | SoundCloud

Horacemix
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Horacemix » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:51 pm

annayarbrough wrote:Hey Horace! Welcome!
Thank you!! :D

billhewett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by billhewett » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:06 pm

Welcome to TAXI and the forums, Horace, and congratulations on your first forwards!

Horacemix
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Horacemix » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:25 am

billhewett wrote:Welcome to TAXI and the forums, Horace, and congratulations on your first forwards!
Thank you very much Bilhewett!
Regards!

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:20 pm

Welcome Horace! And I wondered the same thing and asked about it somewhere here a while back in regards to melody lines. Just a rhythm track seems mundane, so a subtle melody riff here and there has worked for me. Read Dean Krippaehne's book Demysitfying the Cue and Robin Frederick's book Shortcuts to Songwriting for Film & TV. They are both excellent.

COngratulations on your forwards! I have had forwards that have been signed months later and some I have not heard back from. Keep writing and submitting! Seems you have a good head start with your previous work!

Best,
Linda C

Horacemix
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Horacemix » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:17 pm

Tunesmith wrote:Welcome Horace! And I wondered the same thing and asked about it somewhere here a while back in regards to melody lines. Just a rhythm track seems mundane, so a subtle melody riff here and there has worked for me. Read Dean Krippaehne's book Demysitfying the Cue and Robin Frederick's book Shortcuts to Songwriting for Film & TV. They are both excellent.

COngratulations on your forwards! I have had forwards that have been signed months later and some I have not heard back from. Keep writing and submitting! Seems you have a good head start with your previous work!

Best,
Linda C
Hi Tunesmith: Thank you for your post. I think I get your point. It's what I've been doing intuitively all these years.
About submissions, I see that some sort of strategy must be used to compensate the time a library takes until they finally use a track, let's say 2 years after it got forwarded. I don't know if you do what I do, but I try to pitch to libraries but also to those listings that need something URGENT. Just in case I hit the bullseye and get a quick placement. I know, I sound naive and hopeful, but...
Thanks again! :)

Regards!
Horace

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:08 pm

I have a lot of cue recording to do..and it will be a learning experience for sure!

Linda