So many "last minute" listings lately - new trend?

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ChazAldi
Impressive
Impressive

So many "last minute" listings lately - new trend?

Post by ChazAldi » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:22 am

Is it me or does there seem to be a lot of last minute listings?

Does this happen once in awhile or is this a trend?

Not complaining, just observing and want to know if I should quit my day job so I can respond to these. (j/k - I wish)

ChazAldi
Impressive
Impressive

Re: So many "last minute" listings lately - new trend?

Post by ChazAldi » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:47 am

Another last minute listing just came out. Is this normal?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:08 am

The industry moves at a very fast pace these days. Music is also the last step in the process of making a TV commercial, TV show, or film, hence, the quick timelines. Another factor is that sending music digitally has made things move much faster over the last decade, so expectations on the receiving end are that they can GET music more quickly.

Libraries that are adding to or freshening up their catalogs move at one pace, libraries that get a brief and shoot to answer it quickly move at a faster pace; music supervisors working on weekly episodic shows need music every week, and it's scene and episode dependent, so it's near the end of the process; and commercials often wait until the final edit is done, and the commercial is to be "shipped" to broadcasters in the next few days (to a week), so the music is typically decided upon very last minute; and record labels typically have the longest timeline of all.... TYPICALLY.

Back in the days of TAXI running primarily label listings, our timelines were generally 30, 60, and 90 days! But sometimes, the people who ran the listings forgot they HAD because it was so long from inception to completion. To combat memory loss, and the fact that early birds sometimes got the worm, we started shortening listing run times even for labels!

Sometimes, short deadlines can be an indicator that the end user is desperate, and therefore might have more budget available to "solve the problem." Shorter deadlines are often associate with bigger pay days, so we like those shorty listings!

HTH,
Michael

ChazAldi
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ChazAldi » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:08 am

Thanks for the excellent and detailed answer to my question Michael! I didn't expect an answer from you personally! That's impressive.

I see your point about how last minute listing could be a good thing!

Hope to meet you at the Road Rally. Thanks man!